Brake Travel?

My 197 seems to have a really long brake travel? Not sure if this is a normal "197 trait"? haha.

I push the brake, and nothing happens until i've pushed it, i'd say.. 2cm? Until i can actually feel the car braking. Is this normal? I expected them to work once my foot touched them, but they don't.

The pads have a lot left on them, so i can't really think of anything else?

Don’t know sounds normal to me.

I was told ages ago that its just how the Brembo work on the car, progressive braking or something :001_huh:

When I hired a 59 plate Ford Mondeo estate I was almost chucked through the windscreen when I first pressed the brake pedal, where as in the 197 I find you really have to stab at the pedal.

You will not notice it if you don’t drive any other cars but as soon as you do then watch out lol :lol:

If it is a fault then please please let me know.

I thought at first it might be because of the brembos, their mentality is usually, on or off, haha. i still drive the corsa at the mo' and find myself pushing too hard on the brakes.

I'll swing it down to renault and see what they say, wont hurt i suppose!

I can only quote Evo Magazine on this matter. They said on a four Piston set-up this behaviour is common...

well went for a thrash in mine today

the pedal does have some travel but the brakes bite right at the top - i would say 5-10mm movement if that

if i press it to clear the servo its rock hard and at the top of the pedal

mine has this travel issue, went a sat in to other clio 197s and they were the same, even when the engine is off there is still travel, however when you kneed the breaks there good, pedal stiffens ect. ive gotten used to it now.

Mine do this too but its not something I have ever thought about. Im pretty sure its normal. If you think about it if you wanted the brakes to bite as soon as you touch the pedal then the pads would have to run on the discs surface. Obviously they dont ap this would cause additional friction n excessive wear. The only thing I can think is that you have driven another car with crazy levels of servo assistance which make you think the brakes are more effective than they actually are. The problem with that is it takes away any feel and feedback. With the clio the harder you press the brake the quicker you stop, I have driven cars where very little changes - they are either on or off. I really dont think its a problem unless you have a few inches of travel.

Mine do this too but its not something I have ever thought about. Im pretty sure its normal. If you think about it if you wanted the brakes to bite as soon as you touch the pedal then the pads would have to run on the discs surface. Obviously they dont ap this would cause additional friction n excessive wear. The only thing I can think is that you have driven another car with crazy levels of servo assistance which make you think the brakes are more effective than they actually are. The problem with that is it takes away any feel and feedback. With the clio the harder you press the brake the quicker you stop, I have driven cars where very little changes - they are either on or off. I really dont think its a problem unless you have a few inches of travel.

Thats sounds about right to be honest, my mams Mini Cooper has alot of servo and they feel really effective, but if I test both stopping distances into some roundabouts, clio wins everytime.

I have purchased some AP Racing - Dot 5.1 Brake Fluid and I am going to bleed the system through, will post here how I get on, as at the minute I have about 2-3cm Travel.

Bled the brakes today, not much of an improvment, it must be meant to have a bit of travel, or is there a way of adjusting the brake pedal itself?

Bled the brakes today, not much of an improvment, it must be meant to have a bit of travel, or is there a way of adjusting the brake pedal itself?

dont know about the 197 as i have not looked but the brake pedal pushrods used to be adjustable on some cars

have you tried pumping the pedal really hard and working the handbrake to make sure the rear calipers have adjusted up

dont know about the 197 as i have not looked but the brake pedal pushrods used to be adjustable on some cars

have you tried pumping the pedal really hard and working the handbrake to make sure the rear calipers have adjusted up

do you mean pump the pedal and work handbrake whilst bleeding system mate?

do you mean pump the pedal and work handbrake whilst bleeding system mate?

no - not whilst bleeding !

if the brakes are bleed is the brake pedal hard ?

have you had the front & rear pads out - cleaned etc ?