Brake refresh opinions

mattb03

Paid Member
Hi all

After some advice opinions on brakes, my rears need new pads and discs.

I know the general consensus seems to be use standard Renault pads and discs ( I understand the rears don't do much work!), just wondered if anybody had any experience with Godspeed discs https://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tun...lio-mk3-godspeed-brake-discs-rs197-rs200.html

or mtec https://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/renault/clio-2005/clio-renaultsport-197-2-0-16v06-06.html

Both come out a good price, also how these Brembo pads compare to standard Renault.
https://www.roadtrackraceparts.com/brembo-oem-brake-pads-rear-renaultsport-clio-197-200.html

I'm thinking I should change the front to as on track the performance drops off pretty quickly, currently have DS1.1 pads and Brembo HC discs, the discs were changed about a year ago (done around 5k and 6 track days) as the previous ones were warped, fluid has also been changed recently.

The pads have plenty of thickness left but just don’t seem to have the bite, am I best to put another set of discs on with the new pads? or is that overkill.

Most likely go for DS1.1 or DS3000, be interested to hear if anyone's tried both.

Sorry for all the questions, any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

I’ve got Pagid discs on the rear of mine and they seem ok so far. I’ve used Yellowstuff and currently have M1144 fitted which I think feel better. Also a lot less dust.

With the fronts I’ve got Brembo discs and DS1.11
For the sake of the extra 80 quid I’ve always changed the discs at the same time (Definitely overkill)
I’m not happy with the 1.11’s but loads of lads run them here without issue. On trackdays when I’m not pushing massively hard (in the wet) I get really bad judder.... this is the exact reason why I swapped from DS3000’s to the 1.11’s in the first place, as I was told they weren’t ideal for track - they did feel mint though. Amazing bite.

I’m swapping to Mintex F2’s next. As I’ve never had issues with them in the past. Just not run this F2 model before. Will fit new discs as I don’t want any potential ad deposits from the 1.11’s to mess the new pads up

Reactions: mattb03
I’ve got Pagid discs on the rear of mine and they seem ok so far. I’ve used Yellowstuff and currently have M1144 fitted which I think feel better. Also a lot less dust.

With the fronts I’ve got Brembo discs and DS1.11
For the sake of the extra 80 quid I’ve always changed the discs at the same time (Definitely overkill)
I’m not happy with the 1.11’s but loads of lads run them here without issue. On trackdays when I’m not pushing massively hard (in the wet) I get really bad judder.... this is the exact reason why I swapped from DS3000’s to the 1.11’s in the first place, as I was told they weren’t ideal for track - they did feel mint though. Amazing bite.

I’m swapping to Mintex F2’s next. As I’ve never had issues with them in the past. Just not run this F2 model before. Will fit new discs as I don’t want any potential ad deposits from the 1.11’s to mess the new pads up
Cheers, very helpful, so did you also get judder with the DS3000's aswell as the DS1.11?

I did yeah. When the 3000’s started doing it I spoke to a few people and they said it wasn’t the pad for the job. Swapped to 1.11 on their recommendation.
I did 3 trackdays on the 1.11 and they were amazing..... then did a wet day at Oulton and they started juddering.

I now remove the discs before a trackday, hone them with a drill attachment my mate has, rough them up, then run them.
2 of my friends have the same issue, yet there’s countless people in the Clio scene which have no problems whatsoever.
Last time I spoke to Kev at Kam Racing he was equally as puzzled, but recommended me trying the Winmax pads he sells. I was all up for that until I noticed the price :tearsofjoy:

I posted on Facebook in the past and just got a load of pointless responses, ranging from ‘you need better cooling’ to me having seized callipers.

With all the above though. I wouldn’t just take my experience as gospel.

Aren't the standard renault pads in the rear brembo as well? I use DS1.11 all around no issues (except dust)

I posted on Facebook in the past and just got a load of pointless responses, ranging from ‘you need better cooling’ to me having seized callipers.

With all the above though. I wouldn’t just take my experience as gospel.

I thinking having the same experience with these pads as you, my mate runs the sames pads and discs on hos 197 and swears by them.
My meachnic suggested could be becasue they wearn't bedded in properly (pads were on the car when I bought it), looking at the bedding in instructions on the Ferodo site to bed these in well you need to get the temps up very high so would need to do it on track (no so easy as i drive it to my trackdays).

Might have a look at the Winmax pads before I bite the bullet with another set of DS1.11's

Out of interest do you hone the pads as well as the discs?

I thinking having the same experience with these pads as you, my mate runs the sames pads and discs on hos 197 and swears by them.
My meachnic suggested could be becasue they wearn't bedded in properly (pads were on the car when I bought it), looking at the bedding in instructions on the Ferodo site to bed these in well you need to get the temps up very high so would need to do it on track (no so easy as i drive it to my trackdays).

Might have a look at the Winmax pads before I bite the bullet with another set of DS1.11's

Out of interest do you hone the pads as well as the discs?

You can bed them on the road, just go out late at night or early morning on a deserted dual carriageway ideally with roundabouts at each end and just go back and forth building the temps up.

Reactions: peter