Brake Pads

Just had my car in for MOT and it passed but had an advisory for front brake pads wearing thin.

Cars done 31K and AFAIK it's on the original pads, the dealer are saying they're 90% worn, does that sound about right?

I was always told pads should last 40-50K and I only do 30 miles round trip of motorway driving each day.

It's impossible to predict the life based on mileage, but 31,000M on a set of Pads isn't too bad at all.

You could do 1,000Miles to work and back in the rush hour traffic but also do 1,000Miles hammering around a track and they wouldn't wear the same...

Yeah I know it varies depending on driving style, just only ever had to replace pads once before, also it was serviced 4K ago by the same dealer and they never said anything, pads and discs condition has just been ticked in the green box on the service sheet, the key on the sheet says green means good condition, less than 5K until they were needed I would've expected an advisory at the service.

Sounds a bit odd that, like you say you shouldn't have taken huge chunks off them in that amount of time.

It's awkward to do it, but try and get a measurement of the friction material thickness. Somebody on here will be able to tell you how thick they are when new.