Brake Pads - PBS or DS1.1

burrellbloke

Paid Member
It is time for some new brake pads.

I have Ferodo DS2500 brake pads on the front and back at the moment. They have been fine. I have never had an issue with them, and I probably don't even push them too much when I am driving on track. But they are starting to wear out.

What are people's experiences of Ferodo DS1.1s and PBS ProTrack pads?

Or are there any other recommendations I should be thinking about?

@RSRowe previously has recommended the Mintex F2R pad, I had a try of it this time around and actually was really impressed with it, and reasonably priced too. I've previously tried Performance Friction 08 (very good but expensive) and DS1.11 (also very good but I prefer the F2R)

Depends how deep your pockets are and mainly what use.

the DS1.11 should do you fine…
Could go DS Uno or CL RC6

I have reasonably deep pockets.

They would be used for just a bit more stopping power on track. I am happy to put up with squeaky brakes from cold or poorer road performance.

• Haha
Reactions: Beany
I have reasonably deep pockets.

They would be used for just a bit more stopping power on track. I am happy to put up with squeaky brakes from cold or poorer road performance.
I’d go Up from 1.11 then

my RC6 pads squeak when cold but doesn’t bother me…I’ve not had any issues with them but at that price bracket any decent pad will see you right

Reactions: EthanMenace
DS1.11 are mega. I stamp on mine hard and they bite well, never once faded with decent fluid. I see no reason to buy anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 they also work well on the road cold, never had an issue with squeaking but have found they need to be bedded in well.

Reactions: EthanMenace
The ferodos are leagues ahead of pbs protrack pads which aren't great tbh for track use, pro race are ok for the money but wear fast and lack feel and initial bite, similar to ebc yellows. From my experience, CL rc6 are great but can crumble away on a daily so only any good for a track/race car. If your not having problems with ds2500's then try the pbs pro race and you'll be fine

I run PBS ProRace and I wouldn't recommend them for road use. Fine on track but on the road they're a little unpredictable.

As is car forum tradition, I'm going to say that I feel the opposite. I find the ProRace fine as a fast road pad but not very confidence inspiring on track.

Lacked bite and I assume they are a gassy pad as the pedal feel was quite spongy.

Reactions: burrellbloke
I am running Winmax W5 on road and track, and never had a problem. They are more progressive than the DS1.11, but the DS bite harder initially. The W5 are lasting longer, so I might try W6 next. With respect, get on the brakes hard, get off, don't linger, I have never experienced fade/squeal/shudder, and I run 360bhp.

I went for PBS ProRace as more of an affordable solution, I've only done one track day with them at Snetterton and didn't experience any issues. 30min stints and no brake fade... saying that I didn't feel Snett to be that brake heavy (under the bridge being the main corner to really stamp on them).

That was with freshly rebuilt calipers and fresh flush through of TYP200 fluid.

I was pleased with the performance at the price point, I've very little road experience with them (only driving to and from the track) so cant comment really on road performance

I’ve tried lots of flavours and loved the ds1.11.
I only buy DS Uno now though. Every bit as good as 1.11 imo but with half the brake dust. Mine don’t squeak either

How often do you replace the DS Unos? They are quite literally a few quid more than the DS 1.11s

I like the idea of less brake dust.

How often do you replace the DS Unos? They are quite literally a few quid more than the DS 1.11s

I like the idea of less brake dust.
Best guess would be the same as 1.11. Done a fair few track days (5-6)on this current set of unos plus road miles. Still not dead

Reactions: burrellbloke
bit late to the party here but i've recently gone from ds1.11 to pbs based on the fact i had some pbs in a cupboard for ages and the frond disks were done which in turn buggered the ds1.11's. i've done 1 track session on the pbs and they're not in the same league, overheat fairly quick to the point all you can smell is brake pad. I've done many sessions on 1.11's without issue and boiled the fluid after an aggressive 30 minute session at bedford which was the main reason for coming in. cant comment on the uno but the brake dust you get from using the 1.11's eats wheels for breakfast.