Brake pads grinding

Hi all,

I have been noticing that the rear drivers side brakes have been grinding while moving. Not loud, but loud enough to annoy me. I had a look a few weeks ago and noticed that the caliper was a bit worn including the piston bush being torn and damaged, so I decided to replace it. I swapped the caliper tonight, bled the caliper to make sure there was no air in it, lubed up the edges of the pads and the shims and then reinstalled it and took it for a spin.

I still have the noise! There is no noise coming from the other side though. It's almost as if the pads are lightly rubbing on the disc, as when I apply the brakes, the noise goes away. They discs are slightly rusty, including rust on the edge of the surface of where the pads sit, which I suspect is where the noise is coming from. If this is the the cause, how could I remove the rust from the edge? I don't really want to get new pads and discs if I can help it.

Thanks all!

Hi all,

I have been noticing that the rear drivers side brakes have been grinding while moving. Not loud, but loud enough to annoy me. I had a look a few weeks ago and noticed that the caliper was a bit worn including the piston bush being torn and damaged, so I decided to replace it. I swapped the caliper tonight, bled the caliper to make sure there was no air in it, lubed up the edges of the pads and the shims and then reinstalled it and took it for a spin.

I still have the noise! There is no noise coming from the other side though. It's almost as if the pads are lightly rubbing on the disc, as when I apply the brakes, the noise goes away. They discs are slightly rusty, including rust on the edge of the surface of where the pads sit, which I suspect is where the noise is coming from. If this is the the cause, how could I remove the rust from the edge? I don't really want to get new pads and discs if I can help it.

Thanks all!

Did you do both sides or just the one? Common fault these pads seize and touch the disc slightly.

Just the side that was making the noise. Is there any way to sort it?

When mine was doing it, I swapped the pads out (both rear sides) and he found that both sides were seized. They don't make the noise anymore now and the brakes are lovely.

Check the other side also.

I might be a bit wide of the mark here, however I had a similar issue, and although the rear calipers both needed stripping/cleaning/lubing, the handbrake cables were knackered as well, which was causing the brakes to seize (grind). As I say, this may well not be what the problem is with yours, but I thought it was worth suggesting.

I have stripped the caliper and pads and cleaned everything up about 3 times but still have the problem. I did go for a driver earlier and used the handbrake while driving to see if it was any rust or anything that was causing the brakes to rub, It is still there, but not as noticeable as before. I think I might just leave the noise and then get new pads and discs in a few months. MOT is due in December so before then.

I tried to, using my dremel to make them a bit lower and then made it quieter. I might attempt it again tomorrow after I get some more sanding discs.

I assume you checked the pistons were free moving in the replacement caliper before fitting ?

Also are your discs scored ?

Yeah, free moving, brand new caliper from Renault.

They are, to be honest, new shiny ones wouldn't go amiss!
Wow new caliper , ignore me on that front then.

Is the other side scored that same ? Thinking it could be causing the noise with the pad edge being in constant contact.