Both main head lights gone

Last night both my main head lights didnt come on, the side lights, full beam and fogs are still working. I checked the bulbs and fuses and all seem fine?
Could it be the relays and were are they locacted?
any one else had this problem?

Thanks
Dave

Very odd that it is just the dipped beams that have gone, have you tested the bulbs or just looked at them? I have seen bulbs to look brand new but have gone lower down in the casing. Generally speaking the headlamp bulbs tent to blow within a few weeks or even hours of each other because they do the same amount of work. Hope this is of some help :smile:

I just looked at them, but I changed one side a few weeks ago! I will test them any way just incase
Thanks [emoji106]

Always try the bulbs 1st mate even if they look ok, see people in work make this mistake all the time! Say bulbs look ok and go ball deep then ends up faulty bulbs.

Just had this problem occur on mine this past weekend. Fogs, sidelamps and main beams all working fine, both dipped beams not working.

Bulbs, fuses, relays all checked and are fine. Checked continuity from fusebox to headlight plugs and all was good. But, continuity from the main headlight plug through to the connector that pushes onto the back of the dipped beam bulb is non existent.

Ruling all that out leads me to believe the wiring inside the headlight for the dipped beams is fried, so I'll be taking the headlights out tomorrow night for a closer look.

Hope this helps!

p.s. The dipped beam relay is located in the engine compartment fusebox on the n/s of the vehicle, underneath the air intake next to the battery box.

It's located on the top row of relays and is the third from the right (the burnt out one in the pic below), pull it out and check there's no signs of burning or melting where it connects to the circuit board, sometimes water can ingress and **** your day up. If the board looks ok, put the relay back in and get someone to switch from sidelights to dipped beam while you have your ear to the relay, you should hear it click, or you can check the relay is functioning with a 9v battery. If it all looks and sounds ok at this point, then you'll need to start doing continuity checks between the fusebox output for the headlights, to the plugs that push onto the dipped beam bulbs.

One last note. If the dipped beam light on the instrument cluster doesn't illuminate, then you likely have an issue with the stalk.

Like the other lads have said, make sure your bulbs are all good before you go balls deep! In my instance they're ok as I've powered them on remotely, but I have a feeling it was my 120% brighter bulbs from halfords which has caused this in the first place!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2E50F4FB-6945-41C7-903B-91F17C31167F_zpsvsso7tla.jpg
    2E50F4FB-6945-41C7-903B-91F17C31167F_zpsvsso7tla.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
sorry to dig up an old thread but to save making a new one did you ever find an answer to this problem?? experiencing the same thing and cannot find the issue