Boot won't open.

Jminkley

Paid Member
I'm having an issue with the boot not opening sometimes. It started a couple of weeks ago after I washed the car so I assume the workings inside the latch got wet. Can I open the boot from the inside somehow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Needs a new latch. Happened to my 200 but the boot wouldn't actually close. The spring snapped in side.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I'm having an issue with the boot not opening sometimes. It started a couple of weeks ago after I washed the car so I assume the workings inside the latch got wet. Can I open the boot from the inside somehow?

Have the exact same issue! Although I have left it on late and can't get the boot open at all now! Need to climb inside and take the panel off and see if I can release it! Was intermittent now won't open at all! So I would sort it before it gets to my stage lol!

Easy to release the boot from the inside if it's locked - there's a small white square behind a piece of translucent plastic with a slit in it. Put a screwdriver through the slit and slide the white bit of plastic to the left and it'll pop open. Hardly takes any force at all!

Just fixed mine this weekend, on mine the mechanism itself was fine but the contacts within the boot switch had corroded and weren't making contact properly anymore. 5 mins with a bit of sandpaper and some copper slip and it all works perfectly now

Easy to release the boot from the inside if it's locked - there's a small white square behind a piece of translucent plastic with a slit in it. Put a screwdriver through the slit and slide the white bit of plastic to the left and it'll pop open. Hardly takes any force at all!

Just fixed mine this weekend, on mine the mechanism itself was fine but the contacts within the boot switch had corroded and weren't making contact properly anymore. 5 mins with a bit of sandpaper and some copper slip and it all works perfectly now

Thank you. Just sorted it. Works fine now.

8bea611d27b179d26b80a825d5010a4a.jpg
That's the switch. Just get a flathead screwdriver and carefully ease it out. The connector will then come with it, disconnect it. The switch should come away from the car. The switch itself can then be taken apart with a flathead screwdriver again. Careful because there are small things inside which may fallout. You'll then see the workings. The copper coloured part inside will most likely be corroded where it makes contact. Use a file or sandpaper to file away the corrosion. I used a bit of contact cleaner aswell. When reassembling make sure the copper part sits in all the correct grooves. Put it back together making sure nothing inside moves. You'll know everything's sitting right if it clicks when you press the button plug it back in and press the button and you should hear the boot latch working. Push the switch back into the whole and make sure it works.

Just wanted to add my thanks to this thread. Boot stopped working recently and this has saved me lots of time.

Took 10-15 minutes to clean up the switch internals. Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk