Bit of urgent advice needed on attempted break in

T

TheRedEyeJedi

Hello,

Think someone had a crack at my car last night. Basically the drivers door handle has been ripped clean off. I now have a hole in the body work on one end of handle and just the plastic fitting plate on the other end. The handle was no where to be seem.

The drivers door was on the pavement side so its no way an accident by something hitting it. It has to be an attempted break in by a complete moron or just mindless vandells. I cant see it being vandelism as nothing else is damaged, not even the paint around the handle has a mark on it.

3 questions....

1- my alarm didnt go off, i can still get in through passenger door and open the drivers door from inside, the alarm still sets and workd fine as does the keyless entry from passenger side....... is the car safe like this for a few days till I can get it sorted? I have a hole in the door but other wise its fine...im guessing it would still be pretty hard to break in as it is.

2- What sort of repair to you think I will have to do..... the handle is obviously gone, there was a pice of plastic hanging out of the whole which looked like it joined the handle to the inside of the door, was black with a clip on it- it had just sheared off so i have binned it. Will i just need a new door handle assembly or is it likely its gonna have messed up stuff inside the door too.

3- anyone had to have a neww handle on a keyless entry clio-- im guessing its not cheap as it must have electrics in there as its got the button you press to lock the car on it?

Not very happy to say the least but I guess it could be worse-- at least they gave up at that handle and didnt fuk anything serious up

DSC00309.jpg

Its this handle - silver bit on the left is still there, but the whole of the actual handle bit on the right is gone and I just have a hole in the door

Last edited by a moderator:
omg thats terrible. sounds like vandals to me. I think jase was selling a handle so u might be in luck and be able to do it ureself unless he as already sold it.

any bodwork damage?

PM him and see.

omg thats terrible. sounds like vandals to me. I think jase was selling a handle so u might be in luck and be able to do it ureself unless he as already sold it.

any bodwork damage?

PM him and see.

as far as I can see everything else looks perfect...not even a mark around the broken off handle...thats why I think they were trying to get the door open rather than just trying to cause damage .... you would think they would have just booted it or keyed it if that was the intention..... it looks more like an effort to get the door open by someone lacking a brain

I will pm jase...cheers matey

I replaced the handle on mine, it was pretty straightforward, if fiddly. You need to remove the door trim, cut the membrane, and also access a retaining bolt via a small cap on the end of the door.

A new one is around £75, most dealers should be able to get one next day.

If you are anywhere near Leeds then you are welcome to my old one until you get sorted.

Hopefully the wiring inside the door will be intact, there is a plug at the front of the handle, and the other end clips into a rod.