Best fast road pad for £100

You need to soak the opposite end of the pin in wd40 and brake cleaner. I use a punch with a centre drill hole in the middle and you need a big hammer and one big hit. There is like a spring collar on the inside side that keeps the pin in. After you have soaked that, they usually come out first bat. The hole in the punch means the punch locates on the taper pin, 1 it doesn't slip off and chip the paint on the caliper, and 2. It stops you flattening the end of the pin as you have. Also, it sometimes helps tapping the pin from the other side to loosen the retaining collars. You can get a full set of pins from Eurocarparts for £15, not listed online but they stock them. As for the pads, you can buy Ferodo pads for £20 for Brembos but they are made of cardboard, as are your Mintex ones. Good pads are £100, as said get some from Renault, you will not be disappointed and it will be cheaper in the long run. The standard pads are very good value and very good performance and about £60 with discount I think. Oh and buy yourself a couple of cans of brake cleaner :smile:

I'll be back again to tackle the pins, only had a quick go at them today to see if I could get them out. But once I saw how seized they were I left it for another day. I've got a tin of plus gas which has never let me down so far when trying to release seized parts, so i'll give that a go.

I thought the mintex pads would be alright, but didn't realize standard brembo pads were £100. If i'm gona spend £100 on those then suddenly the DS2500's don't seem so expensive! I'll have to have a think and see.

Got a link to one of these punch at all? I've got standard flat punches and centre punches but nothing like you describe. I could use the centre punch on them possibly as that'd locate better once i've given it a tap and its got an indent to sit in.

Some bad reviews on that ATE

Really? I'll do some research on that then and see what I can find.

Whats the verdict on a decent fluid to use then? I've seen the Motul 660 stuff but thats pretty pricey.

There's a sweaky clutch thread on here somewhere which is linked to ATE.

600/660/SRF are probably fairly common choices.

I mean you might be OK with the ATE, but I know it has given some people a few issues.

Dont use ATE Superblue, will give you a squeaky clutch - just suffered from this myself. Within a week the clutch started squeaking, it got too annoying so after a month I have recently swapped it out for Motul (RBF600 because the higher wet point is more useful on a road car driven daily in all conditions, RBF660 requires more frequent changing - to the point you might aswell go for Castrol SRF which would actually work out cheaper over the year(s)), anyway,,,, squeak has now gone within the week. Apparently it's the blue dye drying the slave cylinder seals, I guess if you ran it for too long it would destroy the seals. A quick Google suggest some VAG's suffer from this too.

Also it's no gamble on Yellowstuff pads, run them on my last 2 cars on track days and I'm not hanging about either. They work perfectly from cold but disappointingly they don't squeal on the Clio, on the Golf I had they did, and I strangely liked it!

Mintex 1155, bed in much better and easier than ds2500, just as good when hot, bit dustier and squealier, but if you find a decent supplier a heck of a lot cheaper...

Im running them on TBB, cost me half the price of ds2500 for a virtually similar track performance and they feel better on the road

Mintex 1155, bed in much better and easier than ds2500, just as good when hot, bit dustier and squealier, but if you find a decent supplier a heck of a lot cheaper...

Im running them on TBB, cost me half the price of ds2500 for a virtually similar track performance and they feel better on the road

I'm not sure if it's the weather but I've had hardly any brake dust compared to my old standard set up.

You aint trying hard enough!!

Most of TBBs miles are on track so dust isnt really an issue for us, so may not be an issue on a daily driver??

Lol! I think with the weather I have really pushed it much, so not used the brakes very hard. I'm sure I will notice in the dry!

I think they are excellent! Great bite from cold and from what Spirited driving I have done they perform very well! Give me much more confidence than my previous set up. An like you said for the price they are great!

Always good to know its not just me!!

i reckon the proof will be in how many sets we can kill in a year!!

it was 2 sets ds2500 last year plus the final run of the year on the 1155s

Well in the end I took the plunge and just ordered a set of DS2500's this morning.

My brakes are getting worse by the day and if proper OEM pads are gona cost £100, then the DS2500 don't seem that expensive. Got them for £130 from Larkspeed so not too bad, also ordered 3 x 500ml bottles of Motul RBF 600 fluid too.

I did look further into Mintex M1155 pads but not too keen on them squeeling which i'd read about...

Well in the end I took the plunge and just ordered a set of DS2500's this morning.

My brakes are getting worse by the day and if proper OEM pads are gona cost £100, then the DS2500 don't seem that expensive. Got them for £130 from Larkspeed so not too bad, also ordered 3 x 500ml bottles of Motul RBF 600 fluid too.

I did look further into Mintex M1155 pads but not too keen on them squeeling which i'd read about...

If you can cancel the order of the fluid, you could get yourself 3x Motul RB660 from opie oils for £42.29 delivered. Just a thought.

Yeah I checked there too but I wanted the RBF600 fluid as its got a higher wet boiling point and doesn't need changing as often so its better for a daily driven road car.

Larkspeed charge a flat rate of £10 postage so wanted to make the most of that by getting the fluid on the same order too.

Why are people talking about £100 for standard pads? The brembo items which are the same, just without the renault stamp are only £45-£50 IIRC?