Battery died, time for Varley?

Yiannis197

Paid Member
ok guys I finished work today, went to pick up my car, press the button and nothing:worried: dead battery which was really surprising because I wasn't getting any hints that the battery would die.

Anyhow, my R27 still has the battery that came from the factory so I was kind of expecting that. The question is...is it time for a Varley Red top?

I'm moving close to work next week so commuting will be a thing of the past (5 minutes cycling instead, quality) and therefore the car will be used like 1-2 days per week (maybe less during winter). Will I have a problem with Varley? I read the description and they actually state that it's a battery for race cars and not for road cars with alarm, A/C, radio, electrics etc. On the other hand loads of people here use it with no problems.

Confused...

Any feedback? Bear in mind that I WON'T be using the car every day..

Thanks

It wasn't so much for the weight saving mate, I was thinking about the smaller size, better air flow, and at last changing bulbs without cutting my hands...

I'm probably going for a proper one though...the inconvenience of having to jump start the car is massive.

I'd identify why it's gone flat first, always found Renault batteries to be exceptional.

My misses 182 has had the same standard Renault battery from new and it's still going strong, that's 9 years/100,000 miles old now.

i use a varley redtop 15 and had no issues what so ever in over a year,my car is garaged and i use it twice a week if your lucky to go on a 13 mile round trip to work each time and the odd time to pick my son up from school (2 mile round trip),so not the ideal way to treat a battery but it still seems as strong as an ox

I'd identify why it's gone flat first, always found Renault batteries to be exceptional.

My misses 182 has had the same standard Renault battery from new and it's still going strong, that's 9 years/100,000 miles old now.

Yeah this is what I thought but apparently everything seems fine. I suppose the battery just had it. I ended up fitting a full fat one, £65 fitted. I really wanted to clear up some space in the engine bay though..

Think the varley red top 15 is a tad stronger than the standard,I have had mine on my FF for around a year and no probs at all,they do free loads of space up and they give you the option of a tasty maxogen set up:thumbsup:

What's the difference between red top 15 and red top 25? witch is the best for a street clio 197?
What is the thing over the battery?

20120503122823.jpg

Last edited:
My battery died yesterday!
After work pressed start, some strange "KLUNK" and nothing.
After 2-3 min "RENAULT" appeared on the screen but still nothing.
Borrowed some power from E-class benz and took my car to the garage (regular service and battery change).
On my way I lost power steering and several lamps wnt on (ESP, ABS, handbrake) BRAKING FAULT... Hope everything will be ok after replacing the battery.
My battery also showed no signs of lo-capacity so this is a bit of a surprise.

My battery died yesterday!
After work pressed start, some strange "KLUNK" and nothing.
After 2-3 min "RENAULT" appeared on the screen but still nothing.
Borrowed some power from E-class benz and took my car to the garage (regular service and battery change).
On my way I lost power steering and several lamps wnt on (ESP, ABS, handbrake) BRAKING FAULT... Hope everything will be ok after replacing the battery.
My battery also showed no signs of lo-capacity so this is a bit of a surprise.

Is this the standard battery or a varley?