Battery charge error

Hi Everybody,

I am a very lucky owner of a 197 :smiley: 6 months ago while driving on the highway I got a message on my saying "Battery charge fault (translation from Dutch)" and stop light on the dash. I pulled over and had a look under the bonnet to see if i could see a broken cable or anything. From above there was nothing to see. Once back in the car i tried to start it, without luck. Got ignition but the starter didn't turn.

So i took the car to a renault dealer who discovered a broken wire to the starter + alternator. I don't know the cable, only know it was a positive(+) one. The cable was cut through by a heat shield. Because it was in the warranty they fixed it for free.

Since that moment now and then (25% off the time) i get the same error message on the dash "battery charge fault". Sometimes its there for 1 sec. but also sometimes 10 min. The place and time is completely random and no logic can be found for when it happens. When the error is active for a longer period i measure around 13.8 Volts. The renault dealer checked the computer for errors but there are no errors in the memory. So for now they cleaned up all the ground connections in the engine compartment hoping to solve the problem, without luck. The voltage regulator has already been changed by the previous owner. The battery has also been replaced a few years before. The dealer doesn't know what the problem can be and they have to see it first to measure and stuff, and off course when they drive it, no errors:bye2:.

Is there anybody with an idea what to do next, what could be the problem? Any info is welcome :lol:

I've had this same issue for 2 years, when it first happened I took it in to Renault who couldn't find any problem. When it reappeared I went back to Renault who replaced the alternator but still the battery error comes up..

It happens every couple days and so far I've just learned to live with it as quite obviously Renault don't have a clue. I've had a new alternator, new battery, new engine, new ecu and it still happens so to be honest I'm not that bothered about it anymore.

Probably not the answer you wanted hear, sorry. :smile:

Mmm just started the car to check the voltage on idle. I measured 12.0 volts! had a look on the dash and the error was there!! After 30sec i heard a click and the voltage was 14.0 volt and the message was gone. So i think its just best to start with a new alternator.

The Mrs had this on her Megane 3 intermittently and the it came on, stayed on and the car died. Renault replaced the alternator and all was ok until a few weeks ago when it was serviced at a Renault main dealer (Holden Renault Norwich) after which the message came back intermittently. Dealer can't find anything now however (and had the cheek to try and tell me that a 6 month old alternator that they fitted had no warranty on it and if the new one failed we would have to pay for it!), so going to have to wait and see what happens.

The Clio 3 does have a switchable alternator, but I'm not yet 100% sure on the strategy it uses for switching it on and off. I suspect the fault is related to the alternator not being switched on for whatever reason, causing the battery voltage to drop, and then for whatever reason the alternator kicks in and the fault clears.