ball joint?

hi

i have had my car afew weeks now and just took it for a good blast after it sitting for a couple of weeks while i was working.

really loving it

anyway, when i bought it the old MOT certificate had 2 minors - play on lower ball joint on both sides

anyone know what this could be? is it likely to be the kingpin ball joint or just the track rod end?

what sort of price are these ball joints?

im not worried about it as the car feels spot on (the odd knock over some bumps and the odd knock through the steering over harsh bumps) but im fitting my new suspension and getting the wheel alignment checked so might as well get this sorted while im on

cheers

I would guess it's track rod ends, they're not the most durable and unfortunately are a complete rip off to replace. Genuine parts from the dealer are something insane like £150 each

its the ball joints on the lower arm, u cant just replace the ball joints u need the whole new lower arm, i have just had to have both mine done, nothing to do with track rod ends tho.

The lower arm from memory is about £180ish

I looked into this recently (play in track rods, MOT advisory), according to my technician it is very common on Renaults and not necessarily anything to worry about for the moment, for me at least. He told me it is the track rods, rather than the track rod ends. Ends and rods are all around £50 each, so thick end of £200 for the four. Of course you don't need to replace the ends, but it is good practice and makes life easier.

Interestingly I think a 200 CUP steering rack is only around £350, which comes with new rods and ends...

If it's the same as the 182, then the ball joints can be changed without the need for new lower arms.

I did both mine for about £25.

right cheers

so its looking like quite an expensive job then. its not urgent as it was only a minor on its last mot.

will get it done when i next service it maybe.

Hi just thought il add to this, have not been on here for a while, i took mine for an MOT and had the same advisory, play on both sides of steering rack joints. I phoned renaults and had all of it replaced under my extended warranty within 3 days, the car feels completely diffent and so sharp cornering now

Mine is at Renault now getting front shocks done. I will ask the mechanic why he thinks while he is on with the shocks.

I had a look and can't see any play in the rod ends, it looks like the whole rod that is moving not just the joint. Also the lower arm ball joint I can only
See a small amount of movement on the drivers side near side looks fine

its usually the steering rack "inner" steering arm ball joints that wear - these parts are replaceable - changed the n/s on mine :thumbup1:

just got back from renault main dealer. was meant to take 1.5-2hrs but took over 4 to do the 2 front shocks and springs.

subframe out job. £100 well spent cos it looked like a nightmare. the 2 ARB tie rods were really stubborn too. i had to replace one as it had to be destroyed to remove it

anyway i asked them to check the ball joints and steering rack etc and they said the lower arms/wishbones were fine on both sides

he said there is slight play on the R/H hub carrier top joint and the L/H rack end

might as well do the track rod end at the same time too.

is the steering rack unique to the clio sport or do the 'normal' clio rods and rod ends fit?

I'm pretty sure the steering rack is unique, it's faster than the normal clio

Shame it turned out to be so much hassle to do the front shocks