Anyone running the 182 thermostat changed the fan switch

Recently changed my thermostat for a 182 item and overall I am really happy with it. The car gets up to temp really quick and the gauge site bang in the middle. Have noticed the fan runs a lot more often now though and was wondering if anyone has changed the fan switch for a higher temp one?

Dont forget, your fan wiukd be running anyway, if you got the climate on

coolant fan is controlled by the ecu iirc so there isn't a "switch" to change and therefore if you use the "hotter" 182 thermostat it will cause the fan to come on more...

Why do people do that I'm yet to figure out. I'm sure Renault put that thermostat there for a reason...

Could be lots of reasons, as always with cars, they are always a compromise. But Ktec sell the 182 thermostat for all models so that was enough to put my mind at rest.

It gets up to temp in minutes now, just wanted to adjust the temp the fan kicks in but if it's ECU controlled I won't be able to change it without having access to those functions in the ECU. However I have an Rstuner now so will have a look at that and see if perhaps henk can change it in the high octane map for me

running hot = "better" economy

running cooler = "better" power

running higher octane fuel and 182 thermostat I wouldn't want the fan to come on less!

While those rules are true to some extent, there is a narrow window where they apply. Too cold and the engine will waste energy on each cycle heating itself up. A cooler engine should be more det resistant allowing more ignition advance and more power.
It's generally considered that 82 is optimum for power and that may be why Renault chose the 75 thermostat as standard and if I was using my car for track days then perhaps I would have stuck with the 75 but as a daily driver my car was barely up to temp on my 10 mile drive to work and running cold brings a whole load of problems including reduced economy, bore wash from being on the cold start map too long etc

The 182 thermostat is a good compromise between power and economy however personally i would prefer the fan activated at a higher temp and ran for longer as it's only an issue when sitting in traffic.

I have mapped my own cars previously on the road and still have my wideband so might look to buy the dealer version of the Rstuner software so I can play with the maps myself although it would be purely for educational purpose as from what I gather the maps henk provides for 98 Ron fuel are very good and sort out the lean spots in the factory map that were required for emissions reasons

While those rules are true to some extent, there is a narrow window where they apply. Too cold and the engine will waste energy on each cycle heating itself up. A cooler engine should be more det resistant allowing more ignition advance and more power.
It's generally considered that 82 is optimum for power and that may be why Renault chose the 75 thermostat as standard and if I was using my car for track days then perhaps I would have stuck with the 75 but as a daily driver my car was barely up to temp on my 10 mile drive to work and running cold brings a whole load of problems including reduced economy, bore wash from being on the cold start map too long etc

The 182 thermostat is a good compromise between power and economy however personally i would prefer the fan activated at a higher temp and ran for longer as it's only an issue when sitting in traffic.

I have mapped my own cars previously on the road and still have my wideband so might look to buy the dealer version of the Rstuner software so I can play with the maps myself although it would be purely for educational purpose as from what I gather the maps henk provides for 98 Ron fuel are very good and sort out the lean spots in the factory map that were required for emissions reasons

there was a lot of detail changes to the 182 engine to make it the 197 engine in the mk3 clio...perhaps the 75 stat is one of those...small but worthwhile "tweeks"...

Why do people do that I'm yet to figure out. I'm sure Renault put that thermostat there for a reason...

I've wondered this as well. I think on track a 182 stat isn't the best idea. Would be interesting to see.

there was a lot of detail changes to the 182 engine to make it the 197 engine in the mk3 clio...perhaps the 75 stat is one of those...small but worthwhile "tweeks"...

That may have been there intention but for this climate in my opinion they made a mistake, I am much happier with my car now but rather than us all just sitting around discussing theory without any practical, I will do some logging with the RS tuner and see what the actual temps are during some different driving conditions

That may have been there intention but for this climate in my opinion they made a mistake, I am much happier with my car now but rather than us all just sitting around discussing theory without any practical, I will do some logging with the RS tuner and see what the actual temps are during some different driving conditions

you do that then you can answer your own question....

Sorry but what I do to my car is based on facts not keyboard warrior opinions

whats your problem!

you asked a question and got some replies...your the one that didn't know it didn't have a fan switch...theres no slating etc....

I wont comment further!

...I will do some logging with the RS tuner and see what the actual temps are during some different driving conditions

Please let us know of your findings, it will be interesting to see.

I again believe that the engine thermostat is not something that any company would get wrong, however - and as you said - it might be the best compromise for warm and cold climates. Our car is not driven in Australia so maybe having a higher thermostat is a good idea after all.