Anthracite Touch up?

Rishi

Platinum Member
Is there a touch up paint available from Renault for anthracite wheels?

Im having a couple wheels refurbed at the mo but they didn't take the centre caps & one of the caps has a chip on it

pop the renault badge out 4x prongs and spray the lot get the paint from auto paint st helans just done 2 of mine perfect paint match.

nice one, to be honest where it has flaked im thinking that once its back on the wheel it wont even show but its nice to have it all 100% :wink:

mine had only flaked slightly on 1 edge when i had it in my hand though just touching the edges and it was flaking off all over

pop the renault badge out 4x prongs and spray the lot get the paint from auto paint st helans just done 2 of mine perfect paint match.

:thumbup: to Autopaint, got touch up pots to do minor kerbing repair on alloys and also rattle can's so I could respray all four center caps, did it last week, and paint is spot on and the can nozzle's are excellent no spitting etc.

mine had only flaked slightly on 1 edge when i had it in my hand though just touching the edges and it was flaking off all over

another common problem from the look of it, also the paint thickness is terrible doesn't look like they use a primer but just spray base coat straight onto plastic

good to know my other 2 wheels only have minor scrapes that could use a lil touch up :wink:

did you use primer when respraying yourself?

good to know my other 2 wheels only have minor scrapes that could use a lil touch up :wink:

did you use primer when respraying yourself?

Best to primer give the base paint a good surface to attach and then lacquer gives the paint the protection it needs

Price wise auto paints very good I got primer, base in touch-up pots (already had top coat from stone chip kit) and rattle cans base & top as already had a plastic primer (for caps)

Cheers, i've emailed them & think i know what i need - primer, base and laquer

I assume the only difference will be the primer, as you say the caps are plastic...

Good practice for when i do my diffuser black :wink:

Edit:
they just replied asking to get this paint code confirmed 205-272 ?

Last edited:
205-272 is anthracite and yes as i already had rattle can of plastic primer didn't get that from them just base and lacquer but both of them very good, nozzles excellent.

Primer I got from halfrauds a while back for some stuff I did on previous car

Do you think its a good idea to go for aerosol for touching up wheels or the touch up pots?

right now im going for:

etch primer aerosol for wheels
grey plastic primer aerosol for centre caps
anthracite aerosol base for wheels & caps
proxl laquer aerosol for top coat on both wheels & centre caps

Last edited:
Do you think its a good idea to go for aerosol for touching up wheels or the touch up pots?

right now im going for:

etch primer aerosol for wheels
grey plastic primer aerosol for centre caps
anthracite aerosol base for wheels & caps
proxl laquer aerosol for top coat on both wheels & centre caps

aerosol only if you going to re-spray over entire wheel, touchups work for small chips as easier to control and if your a perfectionist and want to remove any high spots the touchup leaves, then look up 'wet sanding technique' on a detailing website as the touchup will then be virtually impossible to spot

I've got one wheel which either previous owner/garage had dropped onto face so it has lot's of little chips on spoke faces - that wheel I'm thinking will get better finish If I prep entire wheel and then re-spray, but front only had a 2.5cm & separate 1cm wide groove cut into rim edge, so I filled it and then used the touchup pots for that

Tip. Don't use the brushes that come in the lids, pop down to local art shop get some quality fine pointed brushes the finish and control far better from them

don't use etch primer on alloys, as it is acidic and can eat into the alloy causing it to weaken, for alloys normal primer will be fine

Last edited:
cheers mate just gonna stick to the touch up pots - primer/mixed/clear

will look into wet sanding aswell :wink:

sorry to bring this one back up, iv just been told anthracite is 205-99, and the 205-272 is called gris, can anyone confirm which they got and how it looks?

this is the chart I used
Clio Renaultsport 197 205-88
Clio Renaultsport 197 with Cup chassis (anthracite) 205-272
Clio Renaultsport 197 Speedline wheels in satin black 205-337

Although I got 205-88, I did enquire about 205-272 as was going to go anthracite until I decided to stay with the silver. but they confirmed it was anthracite,

this is list posted sometime by TwingoGeekio
Clio 197 Cup alloys : 205-272 (IXELL paint)
Clio 197 Satin Black Speedline alloys : 205-337 (IXELL paint)
Clio 197 : 205-88 (IXELL paint)

Which also aligns up with the list I got from else ware