Am I being D*cked? - Front Grill Issue

Tom

Platinum Member
I removed my front passenger side grill to 'back to black' it and wax my car on Sunday. However, it never fully went back in.

I phoned Renault and asked if a mechanic could look at it because it was a simple job that didn't even require tools.

The sales guy I spoke to said he couldn't do it for free. I explained that it literally was a "one minute job for a guy who probably does ten of these per day" and he said "bring it down".

Upon arrival he said he would need to drive it into the bay - where I wasn't allowed. Ten minutes later he came out saying it was a bumper off job to see if it was broken, which would cost £75.

I said "can't you just pull it out completely to see if it's broken" and he said it wasn't so easy. Then he said, once it was out, if it was broken, I would need to buy a new set of grills (fair enough).

Am I right in thinking that these grills just pop-in and that if I have bent a clip which prevents its return, I can get new grills and just put those in?

Any old garage could do this, couldn't they?

It's hardly noticeable, but, with my borderline OCD attention to detail, I can't have it like this for long...

HELP!

Tom.

from what i remember tom the clips are on the grill not the hole in the front bumper so even with a clip gone it should still pop back in.....think renault are having a laff

Ive just checked the fitting instructions on these grills. To remove the grills you have to unclip them the clips are on the inside of the bumper only way to access them is by taking the bumper off.

There are 3 lower clips and 3 upper clips by the looks of the diagram.

Hope this helps.

That's what I thought, Nick... I am really unhappy with this service. I just want someone honest to take a look.

He previously quoted me £220 for brake painting - as it happens, they send their cars to a place that quoted me £80....

I really don't trust this guy as much as I used to.

Yeah funny thing with the grills is you have to give them quite a firm push to get them back in, but with it being so cold at minute its probs not a good idea and plastic bits could snap.

B

I might wait until the local meet and see if anyone can shed some light on it. :smile:

Ive just checked the fitting instructions on these grills. To remove the grills you have to unclip them the clips are on the inside of the bumper only way to access them is by taking the bumper off.

There are 3 lower clips and 3 upper clips by the looks of the diagram.

Hope this helps.

Taken off the Renault systems

Ah sh*t... Cheers Karl. I've got to have the bumper off soon anyway. I'll check it out then. :|

Rubbish, I replaced grill on my 197 easy enough. Just loosen the bolts in the engine bay on top of the bumper. You can squeeze your arm down to unlock the clips.

I can confirm that if you loosen the bolts you get access you need a skinny hand/arm though

Last edited:
I had my grills off before christmas, and they didnt quite go back in as I wanted, but got them in eventually.

Shame I dont still live in brum mate or I'd meet up and fix it for ya!

Again as above, no bumper removal required, just undo the bolts on the top and get yer hand down the back. Easy peasy, they're taking the mick.

Cheers guys! I'm having the bumper off at the weekend anyway to fit my streamline carbon badges, so hopefully I'll get it sorted then.

That's if it's not -10....

Shame I dont still live in brum mate or I'd meet up and fix it for ya!
Cheers man, it's the thought that counts. :tongueout: :smile: