Alternator gone!

The other week I had a battery low warning light pop up on the dash, thought bit odd so put it on 48 hour charge. Then next time I drove the car the light came back on after 20 minutes so took it to dealer. Turns out the alternator had gone which I found a bit odd for a car only 2.5 years old. All fixed under warranty and seems fine now.
Just thought I'd post this up at don't recall seeing anyone have problems with alternator before on here, mine must be a fluke.

hmmm interesting,now and again my lights seem to flicker a little bit and a friend told me that it could be the alternator,i've not heard of alternators failing on these cars either

I'm sure if you do a forum search it'll bring up posts. I've definitely read about it.

Renault engines had massive alternator problems in F1 last season...

Not that there's likely to be any kind of link!!! :smiley:

Lol. I left my radio and lights on in the car once, while I was sat inside. Probably only for 10 minutes... Battery died on me, and after a few more weeks, I had to get a new one. But then again mine was around 5 years old at the time. Not sure if this helps

Is it possible to repair the alternator (out of warranty)?
Do the battery require to be disconnected from the car while charging?

Is it possible to repair the alternator (out of warranty)?
Do the battery require to be disconnected from the car while charging?

alternators are usually on an exchange basis anyway so they can be repaired the only issue is parts availability depending on whats failed....

as for charging - this is MY approach - trickle charge and you can either leave it connected or disconnect it - if boost charging i would disconnect!

After 3 weeks of no issues, the light came back on while driving on Sunday :-( so car booked in on Monday. All i can think is that it's a sensor/loose connection somewhere. Seeing as its had a new battery and a new alternator..........odd!

chances of this thread coming back to life is slim to none but how did you get on with the alternator? i only ask as mine is dropping from 12.2 volts then spikes up to 15.4 from time to time

Just had this problem. Low Battery light on, so charged the battery up overnight. Next drive, all power gone - stereo, air con, ABS (I think) and then power steering. RAC said alternator gone. Hopefully a new alternator will fix things.

Just had this problem. Low Battery light on, so charged the battery up overnight. Next drive, all power gone - stereo, air con, ABS (I think) and then power steering. RAC said alternator gone. Hopefully a new alternator will fix things.

Same here, just bought a new alternator. From what I have read make sure you get a genuine Renault item. Hoping to get mine fitted this week and fingers crossed it sorts the issue! Hard work without power steering isn't it!