Alloys Bubbling!?

I've been on 12 hour shifts lately so I've not had chance to clean the R27 for about 3 weeks now. But to my horror I've just found these marks/bubbling on my front 2 alloys.....

IMG_0266.jpg

They definitely weren't there the last time I cleaned her. Now I've paid out so much money over the last month on servicing and other mods so money is a bit tight!

So my question is can I do a DIY refurb job myself? Or do i need a professional to strip the alloys back? Also does anybody know the cause of this? Obviously I don't want the bubbling to reoccur a few months down the line.

Any advise would be most appreciated....

Andy

was an issue on the early 197 a few owners i know had wheels re-painted under warranty for this reason!!!

its usually corrosion from either dirt under the paint or poor prepping of the wheel prior to painting

What warranty do people claim this under Foxspeed? 3yr or can you get it under the corrosion warranty (which is much longer, something like 8yrs iirc)?

What warranty do people claim this under Foxspeed? 3yr or can you get it under the corrosion warranty (which is much longer, something like 8yrs iirc)?

never asked to be honest - one lass just took her car back and complained and they did it for her - wouldnt like to guess which one as you know what some dealers are like

You wouldn't get that under warranty unless its under 3 years old. The cause is probably due to a mixture of thin paint / stone chips / brake dust.

Thanks for the replies. I'm gutted as my car was perfect until I saw my alloys today. It's irritating me now knowing its like that lol.

So if I did the refurb myself is it just a case of sanding back the alloys and getting a good prep surface? Then giving it good layers of primer, paint and lacquer?

It might still be worth chancing your luck, to me that looks like corrosion damage, so provided that the wheels aren't excluded from that part of the warranty then why shouldn't they fix it?

I know that all places are different etc, but as an example I had my local Ford dealers put two new sills and rear wheel arches in to a 7year old Fiesta under their corrosion warranty.

Well I drive past my local Renault dealership every day driving to and from work. I might nip in there tomorrow and ask the question then. The worst thing that they can say is no anyway!!

I had mine done under warranty, they wouldn't do it to start off with. Had to call Reault and give them registration numbers of people who had them done under warranty before they'd do it!

I had mine done under warranty, they wouldn't do it to start off with. Had to call Reault and give them registration numbers of people who had them done under warranty before they'd do it!

How old was your car at the time Mike?