Akrapovic or mid box chop?

fre23

Gold Member
Hey all

I have a Clio 200 from 2012 and I was pretty sure that I wanted a Akrapovic EVO exhaust. But yesterday I started to hesitate. A friend of mine has a Megane R26 and did a mid box chop to his exhaust, and it sounds epic! It bangs, pops,..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hQ8XQ2ebyeY

So I searched on the internet to do it with the Clio and I think it sounds better than the Akrapovic. It's also a lot cheaper (+/- €200 vs €1200), but I'm afraid that it's gonna cause a big flat spot or loose power.

Did someone has done this to his Clio? Pro's and Con's?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Ok, there's a thread that's roughly 50 pages long in the exhaust section about this...

Don't think you can compare a properly developed and beautifully made exhaust with proven gains to chopping out the centre silencer of the OEM system really.

Can't really justify £1000 for a little more noise, I would rather spend it on some suspension to make the car go quicker......

Standard cars soundtrack it good enough, KW v3s will make the car go faster. Carbon exhaust trims are a lot cheaper and equally exquisite.

Akrapovic will mot give you a flat spot

It is also loads lighter

It also gives you more mid range torque

IMO (ready.to be shot down in flames) but anyone who thinks the chopped out silencer of the std exhaust sound better thank the akrapovic needs there head looking at

The exhaust is a complete work.of art

Akrapovic 100% does not give a flat spot, definitely improves mid range and throttle response, is lighter and looks good.

Yes its expensive but it's proven to work.

im getting mine remapped but I can't believe how good it runs with the standard map and the evo system.

cant see how a choped out centre section compares to that in any way really.

Can't even compair the 2 really, as Ashton says the Akropovic is a work of art that provides proven gains.

Chopping the centre box out does improve the noise no end tho. So I guess it depends what you want.

Therefore if you want around 8 extra ponies and a weight reduction that'll see you down a qtr mile 1/10000 of a second quicker then get your credit card out... :rofl:

Akrapovic will mot give you a flat spot

It is also loads lighter

It also gives you more mid range torque

IMO (ready.to be shot down in flames) but anyone who thinks the chopped out silencer of the std exhaust sound better thank the akrapovic needs there head looking at

The exhaust is a complete work.of art

2nd all of this but if you do both you get a flat spot :thumbdown:but sounds nice and a map sorts it.

I got my centre section chopped out not long after getting the car. I now have a complete exhaust. Not an akro bit if you can afford it then I would say go for it, in the end you will always want the akro a few months down the line so our saving money really.... That's what I would tell my missus anyways lol

Maybe it's just because I haven't heard the akrapovic live for a while. I know when I first heard the akra I was in love haha :tongueout:. I'll set up a meet again with someone who has one.

I know that the akrapovic is better and has the advantage for extra power and is lighter. But first of all I want something for a better sound. And asked myself if the akra is worth the extra money.

But maybe I'll regret it in the future if I don't take the akra. A friend of mine could maybe get a discount for the akra so we'll see :smiley:!

Why don't you go for a different cheaper exhaust? Still going to be an improvement over the standard an you will get the sound.

Why don't you go for a different cheaper exhaust? Still going to be an improvement over the standard an you will get the sound.

I've been looking for different exhausts and the akra sounded the best. And I had it planned to buy the akra (and have the money), but I never heard mid box chopped exhaust and was surprised by the sound for the little money.

But like you all say, the both aren't really comparable :tongueout:

Only reason the meg sounds the nuts is that it's turbo'd. The centre chop won't produce many if at all any pops or bangs bud

I had massive amounts of pops and bangs when I chopped the centre box out of the Miltek.

Now its got a Meg engine the exhaust is too quiet.

Akra 100%

Im really fussy when it comes to exhausts, but i love mine. Only thing ive had to do is put a 200 diffuser on my 197 (really dont like the looks of it tbh!)

For me the brilliant thing about the Akrapovic is not the 7kgs weight saving or the extra power (is there any really?) but the fact that it sounds brilliantly and most importantly there is no droning at all. You are doing 70-80mph and it doesn't even feel that you fitted a decat exhaust. Excellent stuff, I'd buy again and pay full price for it that's for sure...