Ahh help! Oil from somewhere!

Driving home from work this morning (working nights this week) I hear a bit of a funny sound from the engineer bay. Like a whirring noise and when I get home I decide to pop the bonnet with the engine running to have a listen (nothing new, I find that I do this once or twice every few months due to being a bit paranoid and often find that it's my mind playing tricks on me)

anywhoo... Popped the hood and was greeted with a little bit of what looked like engine oil settling on the top of the engine block where the HT leads are (see pics)

image.jpgimage.jpg

Can anyone lend any advice or basic troubleshooting steps? I'm taking my car to the garage next week for rear pads and discs and could bring this up but can't really afford a hefty bill! Cheers for the help

Most probably is a leaking rocker cover gasket. Quite common on the F4r. Not a traditional gasket but more a sealant type.

Most probably is a leaking rocker cover gasket. Quite common on the F4r. Not a traditional gasket but more a sealant type.
thats what it probably is..nothing to worry about..have had it since i bought the car..doesnt look nice but there is no harm to ur car i suppose..

How much to get it sorted roughly? Glad it's nothing to worry about :smile:, but might still get it sorted when it comes to servicing time as getting the aircon fixed as well.

Thanks for the help guys!

are you sure that's not coming from the spark plug hole?

might be worth taking that one out and having a look?

if it is its a bit of a job as its cambelts off!

if it isn't clean it all off and then keep checking to see where its seeping from - might be a couple of the cover bolts needing a bit of sealer on

Cleaned it up and drove to work and upon checking it again the exact same amount of oil was sitting there :@.

It did first appear to be coming from the bolt just out of sight under the cover/manifold. I'll clean it down and sit watching it run for 5-10 minutes to see if I can locate the source. Gonna check my oil level as well as I don't think it will affect it too badly but worth checking.

Never had this issue before but did have my cambelt changed at the end of last year...potentially a contributor to the cause (I haven't really looked intently so it's possible that I haven't spotted it before).

get in touch with @Yiannis197..he had the cams cover resealed..link:http://www.clio197.net/forum/showth...ck-edition-)/page5&highlight=yannis+albi+blue
hope it helps

Also I may be being thick, but I went through the entire 48 odd page thread on my night shift (half asleep admittedly) and couldn't find anything about the cam covers :S.

Checked the oil on the dipstick and have just over half so either this hasn't been happening a while or it's literally been a little bit each time. Either way I have a guy taking a quick look at the photos to asses criticality and then will be speaking to my local garage soon if it can't wait until Tuesday (although I'm sure it can).

Also I may be being thick, but I went through the entire 48 odd page thread on my night shift (half asleep admittedly) and couldn't find anything about the cam covers :S.

Checked the oil on the dipstick and have just over half so either this hasn't been happening a while or it's literally been a little bit each time. Either way I have a guy taking a quick look at the photos to asses criticality and then will be speaking to my local garage soon if it can't wait until Tuesday (although I'm sure it can).
haha..see u work really hard :coffee: its on page 5 half way through..there is a picture matched inlets above of what u need...check it..believe its just the seals...i have heard lots of reports on this oil leakage on ours clio's......common thing but it is curable if u want..

That looks like its coming from that cover thats bolted to the cam cover, which if anything like 172/182s will have a gasket, and removing it wont effect the cams.

What I suggest first is take your rocker cover bolts off clean them clean the engine free from oil put some thread lock around the bottom of the Bolt and re tighten not to hard tho not sure what to torque them too they don't need a lot. If the leak stil comes back then it will be your gasket leaking , but it could be you need to re tighten your cover bolts , don't just tighten them up you need to take them out and clean them first.. Hope this helps