Aftermarket bulbs

A2ON

Platinum Member
Just FYI really

Never bothered with aftermarket headlight bulbs before such as silver visions etc and led lights

However a few moths back I got some and I since then have had two LEDs fail and the other day a headlight bulb went !

I noticed very little difference in light output of the headlights and the LEDs looked good externally number plate lights etc but just a complete pain as they kept failing it seems they are all mass produced Chinese crap and have a shelf life of a few months.

I will to put some context in it I do a lot of miles 800+ a week now and have done for a month or so and have the lights on ALL the time so I have used them perhaps more than most and most of driving is 4am and late at night so pitch black so main beams on but I am just a tad let down

Nothing against they people who provided me with the bulbs as its not the distributors issue just the quality seems to be lacking in this market

I have since took car to Renault and had ALL exterior bulbs returned to standard including number plate lights etc looks better and hopefully will be more reliable

To summarise OEM FTW

A

On the flip side, I have had Bosch (standard spec) headlamp bulbs fail in as little as a month.

Know what you mean though, Halfords "Extreme Brilliance" have had very short lives in my wife's CR-V, and were not perceptibly better than standard, nor were Bosch's uprated bulbs when I replaced one in my Focus.

Not had any issue with LED number plate or silver indicator bulbs however, in at least 15-20k of use.

I have just fitted a 4300k 55w HID kit in my VX, that does seem better than standard.

On the flip side, I have had Bosch (standard spec) headlamp bulbs fail in as little as a month.

Know what you mean though, Halfords "Extreme Brilliance" have had very short lives in my wife's CR-V, and were not perceptibly better than standard, nor were Bosch's uprated bulbs when I replaced one in my Focus.

Not had any issue with LED number plate or silver indicator bulbs however, in at least 15-20k of use.

I have just fitted a 4300k 55w HID kit in my VX, that does seem better than standard.

Noticed a bulb out earlier so popped into halfrauds to pick a bulb up, went for the ultimate ones cos they were buy one get one free, after reading this I hope they'll be ok. :worried:

I used halfords super brilliance bulbs in the alfa, had them in for around 3 years, never had to replace one.