Advantages of a manifold

hi, I had a fully decatted (pre-cat and Main cat) resonated Milltek system on my 197 when I got it. I think it was remapped as there was no flatspot and no engine warming light. I have now removed the mid-silencer a few months ago and that introduced the flatspot. I have noticed that there is a blow out in the manifold so am toying with the idea of putting on a toyosprts manifold instead. Would there be much change in sound? I know not to expect any performance gains.
Thanks guys

I did indeed.....

Unfortunately i went the other way around fitting-wise (Toyo manifold first).......then system.

BUT: From standard to just a manifold fitted - the noise increased a far bit. Certainly when on-the-gas !

It increased again after the Scorpion resonated went on. Not as much from my memory. But this may have been because the manifold noise was drowning out the system :smile:

All in all i think its fair to say you will notice an increase in noise; from a standard manifold to a Toyo or anything after-market....

Reactions: dmur197 and Jimmy
I am leaning towards fitting the toyo manifold, inread somewhere that it sometimes rubs or isn't a perfect fit, did you have any experience with that?

None at all. Fitment was perfect as such.

I fitted Yellow series engine-mount poly-bushes at the same time and when the Toyo was fitted i had my garage grind a little off the lip of the subframe as many have; as it CAN rub there.

Zero issues whatsoever with rubbing for me......but i did cover my bases two way. But i'm pretty sure either would do the trick.

Reactions: dmur197
were there any draw backs to fitting it? like did yo need to re map it? or did it take a long time to fit?

thanks!

I had the toyosports manifold fitted. Same as above really, no fitment issues but I did have the Powerflex lower engine mount fitted. It was a little louder from inside the car, but not really noticeable from outside the car. No issues regarding engine management light, nor with passing MOT. I didn't need a remap either, if anything throttle pick-up was improved a little but definitely didn't notice any drawbacks.

I had the toyosports manifold fitted. Same as above really, no fitment issues but I did have the Powerflex lower engine mount fitted. It was a little louder from inside the car, but not really noticeable from outside the car. No issues regarding engine management light, nor with passing MOT. I didn't need a remap either, if anything throttle pick-up was improved a little but definitely didn't notice any drawbacks.

were you putting the manifold onto a standard system or an aftermarket system? I have a milltek non res at the minute and was hoping it would add a little more noise

were you putting the manifold onto a standard system or an aftermarket system? I have a milltek non res at the minute and was hoping it would add a little more noise

Onto a standard system mate. It gave a few more rumbles when lifting off the throttle, but the problem with mine was I had the Powerflex upper engine mount too which are vibration central and exacerbated every noise inside, so I couldn't really be 100% if the noise increased due to the manifold or the mounts. One thing's for certain, it won't make your exhaust any quieter.