ABS/ESP Lights On

jenic

Paid Member
I changed the rear discs and pads at the weekend using genuine Renault parts and when driving off had a light on the dash for ABS/ESP.

I scanned it and the code was C1043 with a generic scanning app. Which identified as rear left abs sensor. Pulled it apart and all looked good, the sensor mounting plate has surface rust but isn't corroded through so I wire brushed it up but it still didn't help. Decided it must be the sensor so ordered another.

Fitted the new sensor today and the light cleared itself, the code persisted but I cleared it too.

This evening I've gone for a longer drive and the lights are back, however unlike before where the light would come on as soon as I start driving, the behaviour is now that the car has a strange grind when braking at slow speeds, then once you hit 30mph the abs/lights lights come on and the grinding stops. I also have a different code - C102F, not sure what this is though.

Any advice?

C1043 is a generic code for rear left tone wheel performance you might have to check the abs rings for air gap size between sensor and tone ring and you can check the tone ring with a test card to make sure they are not damaged.

Also check the rear axle nuts are still tight and the sensor back plate is not bent or badly rusted causing the air gap to be too large missing signals at higher speeds which the car senses one wheel faster than the other. Other back plates can be got this is just a video showing the back plate.

Reactions: Sean197
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't remove the rings so don't think I'll have disturbed any gaps. The C1043 code has been resolved with the new sensor but I have the new code now C102F.

I thought my sensor brackets looked in fairly good shape but everything I read online keeps coming back to them. I might just order a couple and see if that helps.

I think I need to get it on a proper diag system, these are the rear sensors, just took them now before work, the air gap looks ok I think:

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

Well, problem found. I noticed a slight imperfection in the ring on the rear drivers side in the above pics so took it off, all my focus until now had been the other side as that what the original code pointed to.

Pretty shocked to find this:

IMG_1008.jpg

The sensor bracket doesn't look bad though, and the disc was torqued to spec and seemed to spin freely. I can only assume something got caught between the disc and hub, a small stone or something, and caused the damage before vacating the area.

IMG_1009.jpg

Ordered a new ring anyway and will give that bracket a right good clean up too.