About to put a deposit down...

Hi there people, newbie to this site but have spent a lot of time reading most threads :biggrin:

Few weeks ago I thought to myself, stuff it, I work hard...might aswell treat myself to a new car. I'm currently on my first car which is a Clio 1.2 Extreme. Great first car but want something more fun now! :smiley:

Decided to get some quotes on insurance before I started looking for anything as i'm only 19 but have had my own policy since i first started driving so have 2NCB now.
I was suprised to find out my best quote was from Elephant/Admiral (Think they're partner companies now)
Quotes came to around £1380 for the 197 with me as the main driver and with the parents as named drivers. Once I saw this I knew I could start the fun and browse around!
I know the insurance is still pretty ridiculous but unlike most 19 year olds. I prefer not to go around the town drinking and stabbing people, so my hard earned can go on this!

Anyway, back to the car. I went to see a Red 07 plate 197 with 31K on the clock. FRSH and just been MOT'd. Condition of the car was immaculate, no scuffs on the wheels and a good chunk of tread left on all 4 tires. Has climate control and a few more extras. Anyway, to the point.

They are asking £8995 for it and I have offered them £8500 which i'm confident they are going to accept, or atleast something around that.

Sorry for the rant! But I would just like to get you guys opinions as the warranty is about to run out and i've heard some pretty worrying stories about "Friday" 197's. :bored:

Would be appreciated :thumbup:

Cheers

Steve

welcome fella :thumbup:

stick to your guns on the offer - and also tell them you want them to supply an extra 3-6months warranty on top of what remaining as a minmum :wink:

So you're willing to pay £1600 to drive around in a car for a year excluding the petrol? Rather you than me.

As good as the car sounds i'll wait a year or 2 until the insurance drops.

Cheers mate!

Their cars come standard with 3months parts warranty which I was pleased about, but they have a 12month warranty which they reckon is worth around £300. If I could get it for half of that I would be more than willing to pay between 8,600-700 TBH

Hi Andy, I would wait 2 years but the insurance wont drop that majorly as i'll only be 21 and it'll go down by a couple hundred... Toughie.

Last edited:
Sounds good, 8k isn't bad! I paid 11k for my 08 20k'd CUP.

Good luck! You'll enjoy it.

So you're willing to pay £1600 to drive around in a car for a year excluding the petrol? Rather you than me.

As good as the car sounds i'll wait a year or 2 until the insurance drops.

I pay just under 2k for my 197 insurance. I've just turned 20 and only been driving since feb last year.

Its worth every penny. 8)

Good luck with it then mate.

As for the warranty, is the car at a Renault dealer?

Cheers, I paid £1,600 the first year to insure my 1.2 :thumbdown: so this is worth every penny IMO.

It's not, no. They said their warranty would just provide Renault parts -gearbox fails, clutch, ect.., so it's obviously nothing like a Renault warranty.

First of all welcome to the site,
I think same as Andy tbh mate, I think insurance is too expensive maybe learn to handle a less powerful car first maybe a 1.6 then work your way up. 300 miles ATM costs £60 in petrol. £215 a year for tax. Insurance. These cars eat front tyres for fun and they aint cheep £130 - 200 a corner u can put ditch finders on but its not worth the risk. MOT's aswell. If you have the money fair play to you and good luck on buying the car.

Welcome to the site, and you get it if you want to :smile:

Full of respect for someone of 19 years old getting a car like this!

if its the car you want and you can afford it and the running costs then good on ya and go for it mate.

oh btw welcome to the site.

Thanks for the opinions guys, as mixed as they are.

I don't do many miles a week, i'd say around 220-250 a week?

I've worked out my finances and it allows me to spend 40-45 a week on petrol so if this covers it, everything should be fine..

How often do you change your tires? I mean I won't track the car, mainly A and M roads. I'm not planning on ripping the life out of the car, but obv want to have some fun with it!

Welcome to the site mate! :w00t:

My first year of owning the 197 was a £1300 insurance jobby too and like you say it is money well spent. Just make sure you enjoy it at the same time! Sounds like a good deal if it all seems fine then I would stick to your offer of £8500 and see what they say - its not a big drop and I dont think its unreasonable.

White lies are brilliant in that situation. Tell them you have seen the same spec in a different colour for £8500 and you dont really want to pay more just for paint - Im sure they will come around lol! :tongue_smilie:

Welcome to the site mate! :w00t:

My first year of owning the 197 was a £1300 insurance jobby too and like you say it is money well spent. Just make sure you enjoy it at the same time! Sounds like a good deal if it all seems fine then I would stick to your offer of £8500 and see what they say - its not a big drop and I dont think its unreasonable.

White lies are brilliant in that situation. Tell them you have seen the same spec in a different colour for £8500 and you dont really want to pay more just for paint - Im sure they will come around lol! :tongue_smilie:

Ha, good idea mate. I know they are going to try and squeeze some more out of me, but TBH, i'm not paying more than £8500 without an extra warranty so i'll just have to wait untill the phonecall tomorrow morning :w00t:

Welcome to the site Steve
Don't worry about the insurance. I can't believe some people can get it so cheap!!!! I've got a new 200 cup and pay £3000 insurance,:worried: and thats with my mum as the main driver. I couldnt find anyone who would insure it with me as the main driver! So I bought the car and had to pay my mum to insure it for me. I 've been driving 2 years, got 2 years no claims. Its just F**kin wrong how they work it!:@!
But Its worth every penny, had a run out to Holmfirth today and it put the biggest grin on my face I have ever had!:rolleyes:

Just a word of warning Gromb200; I would be very careful with parents as a main driver if its registered in your name as 9/10 times insurers wont pay out, unless you can prove there is a valid reason for it and that she drove it most of the time.

Last thing I would want to hear is a little bump causing a world of problems :'(

Yes, it is called "Fronting" and it is illegal.

My friend suffered because of that. The insurance company didn't believe that his mum was the main driver, and wouldn't pay out when he wrote it off!

I think insurance companies have cault on with this now and have decided to refer anyone quoting online for it to call them up. I want my NCB anyways =D

Don't worry I did think of this, so when I bought the car I put the keeper and owner in my mums name. So if owt goes wrong its down to her! ha ha:-p
Also when the ROZZAS pulled me last week and all my particulars were in order he was stumped!!!! I think he must of thought he was going to get me on something, but Oh No!!!:-p

Don't worry I did think of this, so when I bought the car I put the keeper and owner in my mums name. So if owt goes wrong its down to her! ha ha:-p
Also when the ROZZAS pulled me last week and all my particulars were in order he was stumped!!!! I think he must of thought he was going to get me on something, but Oh No!!!:-p

If that happened last week I would contact your local police station and get a copy of the details just in case anything does come up in the future it might be worthwhile! Glad you got all of the bases covered! I would 'hate' to have to buy the diffuser off you if anything happend lol! :-p

Thanks for the heads up. Don't worry I am not planning on wrapping it around a tree just yet! LOL:tongue_smilie:
It needs running in first!:rolleyes: It was funny when he pulled me though as soon as I saw him I would have put my diffuser on him stopping me!

Similar Thread Suggestions