A question someone has asked on CS

Yeah I only read the link in the OP which makes it seem like the plane would take off as the engines are forcing in their own air, blah blah blah. But the engines themselves only provide the forward thrust, the wheels just stop it from grinding along the floor. The only thing making it go UP is the lift from the wind going over/under the wings which still wont happen when its on the treadmill.

HA, I WAS RIGHT! So were both geniuses (or genii, but I'm not getting into this argument) now Willis!

TBH there are too many unanswered variables to answer accurately.

If the conveyor a was travelling fast enough, and the plane was stationary in relation to it, to generate lift then yes it would become airbourne with or without its own engines.

If the plane was on the conveyor with a tailwind at the same speed as the conveyor it wouldn't lift off.

If there was a headwind and the conveyor-plane combo were travelling into it then it would take off sooner.

The navy use something similar on aircraft carrier which launches fighters in the same way as you fire a paper plane - you provide the thrust. Which if I understood the Q, is what the conveyor does.

Right I have just read the actual question, if the plane is being propelled by its engines it doesn't matter what the wheels are doing. When it reaches a high enough speed (which it will) it will take off.

Last edited:
I've seen this a few times, always start of thinking obviously the plane will take off then manage to convince myself of reasons it wouldn't take off then come back to the conclusion it would take off lol

Simple as this: The plane uses its engines to provide it's forward motion, what the wheels are doing is irrelevant

It will take off, the wheels will just be rotating twice as fast as they would be if the conveyor wasnt there.

The engine provides the thrust.