4x4.?

jase

Founder
Platinum Member
Recomend me a 4x4
Upto 15k
Upto 3 years old.

I like the dodge nitro in black, but it's 2.8lt so cost £425 a year in road tax :worried:

I used to like the Pathfinder, but there is very little room in the back seat. Having spent some time in one a few weeks ago, I wouldn't even consider it any more. Plus the interior really does betray it's Navara origins.

It all depends on what you want it to do. As a family car, the CR-V does a really good job, remarkably good handling, and great interior space compared to many others.

Kuga drives really well but doesn't have sliding rear seats and the boot isn't very big

Freelander2 is great, but is probably right at the top of your range, and it's width (bizarrely same as Disco, despite being a glorified Focus) means that it is strangely cumbersome in day-to-day situations, parking, etc.

Wouldn't bother with the Chysler based cars, not impressed at all with them, and the diesels are the noisy VW pumpe duse engine. Also wouldn't bother with the Mitsubishi based cars (4007 and it's Citroen sister)

Rav4 isn't particuarly space efficient, and I really don't like Toyotas.

Haven't paid much attention to the Koleos, but from what I have read it is startlingly average.

X3 is better than it's reputation, if we were going to change our CR-V, then an X3 3.0d auto would probably be ideal. X5 is very nice, but big.

I think in many regards it depends on what you want.

Family car - CR-V
Go-anywhere car - Suzuki Jimny / Freelander 2 / Discovery 3 / Defender
Big car - X5 / Discovery 3

I'd go for a CR-V, but the styling isn't to everyone's taste. Think it's because it looks less like a 4x4 than others. How about a Nissan X-Trail? This would be my second choice. But if money weren't much of an issue and you want something decent off road with lots of space and 4x4 looks, I wouldn't look much further than a Discovery 3.

Volvo and disco both way too expensive. Deffinately can't spend more than 15k.

It will never go off road, more the extra space and size I'm wanting.

CR-V or X3 all the way then. Our CR-V is the 2nd gen (2002-2006), and has much more space inside than pretty much all of it's rivals. Ours is a petrol auto, so is slow and juicy, but the 2.2D is supposed to address both concerns. A colleague has a 3.0d X3 goes like a rocket, + 35MPG, but it is a bit stigmatised.

CR-V or X-Trail. My dad had the older CR-V (mk2 I believe) and it was very good with loads of interior space. It handled quite well (he tells me) and the 2.0l petrol was quite quick, but not very good on fuel. So he would recommend them. Nissan X-Trail looks a bit more off roader IMO though.

nissan qashqui or whatever they are called. they are specced up to the hilt reverse cam and everything as standard

A Quashqi might be ok then Jase. If you can live with the looks! Not my kind of think, very round and bulbus IMO. But I know they are meant to very good. Renault engines too!

had a look at a nice vitara grand 5dr today.
the 3dr is way too small but the 5dr is huge and not as basic as alot of 4x4's.

how about the Jeep Cherokee, the last of the newer shape falls within budget. They use the VW diesel engine aswell, so you know it will last. Failing that, I would look at a Freelander or an early Ford Kuga. Can get good discount on Jeep parts too :wink:

Last edited:
If you want something different, how about the BMW X3? You can get a nearly new Renault Koleos for around £15, used are going around £11

Last edited:

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Giles General Chat 9