3rd Gear grinding when shifting down (Help!!)

ok heres the deal....If Im in 6th or 5th and I want to drop down to 3rd to get the revs to 4 or 5k to overtake, 3rd seams to grind every time!!

Normal driving is fine no grinding at all. Even when shifting up the gears from 2nd @ almost 7k revs into 3rd its fine.

Im really not sure what is wrong with it, but ive got a feeling its going to be expensive (car no longer under warrenty since april)

synchromesh on 3rd is worn......new gearbox or strip repair rebuild :jumpon:

yup yup bills of around £600 from renault I would say. maybe more. they wanted £680 for labour on mine when box was clunking.

ended up been a leak on clutch fluid so I got a 200 box fitted for free and I payed my mate to fit the ceramic clutch.

ouch indeed - maybe worth draining the gearbox oil out and seeing how much metal is in it :bat:

What would I gain from having this done?

I've kinda got the idea in my head now that in screwed either way. I could cry lol
I know taking it to Renault I will get shafted by the bill! Probably best place though no doubt?

Renault arnt always the best mate, I could ask my mate if he would have a look if ure close?

What would I gain from having this done?

I've kinda got the idea in my head now that in screwed either way. I could cry lol
I know taking it to Renault I will get shafted by the bill! Probably best place though no doubt?

change the oil and filter it too see if theres much metal in it...give you an idea if its starting to break up inside and whilst doing it put in a better oil...you never know it just might improve things for a while

Renault arnt always the best mate, I could ask my mate if he would have a look if ure close?

cheers woody, although im about 54 miles from Derby if thats by you, about an hour away

I may take it to my usual garage, not sure if they can do much with repairing the existing box but replacing it shouldn't be an issue, apart from cost of course lol

Thanks for your help guys

Yep, mine has the problem as well, started with it grinding from 6th to 3rd then 5th to 3rd then a few months later it started to grind 2nd to 3rd.

I got fobbed of when I had mine looked at (was told never to skip that any gears), so good luck trying to get it replaced and keep us updated.

So anyhow, heres a little update. I’ve called William A Lewis (Renault dealership) complaining (in a nice way) about the gear box, having owned the car less than a year and the gear box is going on it, and it having only done 31k
He said he would check to see if it was a common fault, I have said several earlier model 197s have had a gear box rebuild etc, I only know this because of being part of several RS clubs. (That was a blag, just did some research)

Anyhow I got a call back from the manager who said that they have never had to repair a 197 box, but then there isn't many where I live! Anyhow they said they would have the car in to do a diagnostics on it to find the actual problem, and then go down the national customer service route as to getting them to help towards the costs of the repair.

it goes in on Monday 4th October.

To Be Continued...................