2012 clio 3RS RB7 #166

braid fullrace R 7X17 ET47. it's the wheel used on the rally clio R3T (google "clio R3T". plenty of pics). neither the lightest nor the prettiest, but they can take a hit. braid also does a fullrace A in 8X17. if i was to buy wheels now, i'd probably go for that one. then i could go for 225 section tyres. best thing about those braid wheels, is that you specify ET-value yourself.

View attachment 119800

View attachment 119801

They are nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sean197 and peter
done with getting the car ready for 2018 ...

- castrol edge 5W40 (engine oil)
- elf tranself 75W80 NFP (gearbox oil)
- endless RF650 (brake fluid)
- NGK spark plugs
- cambelt change (car will be six by november, so wanted this done before taking it on track this year.)

took the opportunity to swap the stock crankshaft pulley for raptor's lightweight pulley. could feel immediately the car being lighter on its feet. still early days, but so far very glad i had it fitted. the weight difference with the stock pulley is shocking. weighed on a kitchen scale the stock pulley came in at 2350 g, rene's lightweight pulley was 580 g.

also found out that the left lower baljoint was f****d. so had it replaced.

Good work as always Peter. Stunned by the weight difference between the pulleys! That must be very noticeable!

Reactions: peter
a bit of TLC is the key to having a healthy car..thumbs up Peter..
cheers pav.

Nothing left to chance with that list Peter. That is quite the saving on the pulley:thumb:
yeah, the weight saving is insane. just hope the engine stays reliable.

Good work as always Peter. Stunned by the weight difference between the pulleys! That must be very noticeable!
yup. i tried to clock acceleration from 40km/h to 100km/h in third before and after. close to half a second gain. really anxious to see what it will be like on track. not only in how the car will accelerate, but also how it effects engine braking.

Reactions: dr gonzo and ///M
As already mentioned Peter, I’m glad my endorsement of this mod has paid off, was worried it was a placebo effect!
Looking forward to seeing your car at Spa, really keen to hear your thoughts on how different it feels around the track.

Sounds good Peter. I'm looking forward to seeing the car & meeting you at Spa. That lightweight pulley sounds like great mod!

Reactions: peter
took the opportunity to swap the stock crankshaft pulley for raptor's lightweight pulley. could feel immediately the car being lighter on its feet. still early days, but so far very glad i had it fitted. the weight difference with the stock pulley is shocking. weighed on a kitchen scale the stock pulley came in at 2350 g, rene's lightweight pulley was 580 g.

I remember my first impession with the lightweight pulley on the Clio - I was like: "OK, Rene, don't get too excited it might be your butt dyno is far off but this sure makes a difference in the first three gears especially". :smiley:

So I called my friend with the Polo 9n2 GTI that I've drag raced the same day to a rematch just to see if there's a difference.
I was 1-1.5 lengths of a car faster than before the pulley (please note that my first pulley had ~755g).

2014-08-01 19.34.19.jpg

And my car was already "heavy" modified (ported & matched inlets, V6 airbox, 402 Catcams, Y-pipe, Miltek decat and catback and a remap) - I believe that the stock car might feel a benefit of a lightweight pulley even more than I did with an already fast Clio and a heavier pulley (~755g vs ~600g).

The next thing on my Clio would have been a lightweight flywheel but I went for a turbo conversion (not a swap though). :wink:

I would recommend doing that next when your clutch is up for replacement.

Cheers,
Rene

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowride and peter
right, been a while ... no mods since the cambelt change and the installation of the lightweight crankshaft pulley. just trying to keep the car tidy and clean.

and take it on track of course ... had the pleasure of meeting a couple of forum members at spa in april. tom and matt with their track weapons, james and niall with their meganes, micah and kevin in their mk4's, john and chris and ben and ruper in the NA clios and (although very briefly :wink:) ben with his megged clio. micah and james were kind enough to give me a passenger ride. james scared the hell out of me with his mental megane. would have been a real weapon if the weather would have been dry, but even in the wet it went like stink (impressed with his heel and toeing as well, btw). micah too scared the hell out of me ... had more to do with the unorthodox lines he was taking though ... nah, just kidding. was the first time in a mk4 for me and i certainly understand the enthousiasm for them. effortlessly quick cars they are. if only renault would make them with wide arches like the mk3 ... had a couple of really good laps with ruper at the end of the day (still kicking myself i didn't ask you for a passenger ride). enjoyed that very much. hope we can do this again, in better weather, next year. oh, and niall ... thank you for not throwing up in my car ...

two weeks later i took the car to mettet. short track with some cool fast corners. ideal to surprise a couple of elises. always a good feeling when people come up to you and ask what i've done to the engine ... 'erm, nothing' ... or what suspension i'm running ... 'erm, stock' ... confusion on their faces is priceless. :smile:

two photos. first (crappy phone) one is at the end of the spa trackday. blue one is ruper's, white mk4 is micah's, red one is benno's, white megane is niall's (i think), mk2 megane is ian's and you can just about see matt's black one on the left.

42040420552_7f1ffcd6c4_b.jpg

second one is from mettet. also at the end of a great day.
car didn't miss a beat on both occasions. can only hope it stays that way for the rest of the year.

42085196431_a88e5722a7_b.jpg

next trackday, hopefully at the end of the month. spa again. fingers crossed for dry weather ...

Last edited: