2012 clio 3RS RB7 #166

Discussion in 'Projects/Progress Threads' started by peter, Mar 20, 2016.

1. peter

peter POTM Winner - February 2017 Gold Member

Car:
    RB7 #166

cheers mate. :smile:

2. MRizzle

MRizzle Gold Member

Car:
    Clio RS 200
    Absolutely love that photo!

3. peter

Car:
    RB7 #166

thanks. plan was to do a similar one at spa in front of eau rouge, but it was pissing down by the time i got time to think about taking pics. :smile:

4. Gordini

Gordini Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 200 Gordini
    Stunning photo, stunning wheels, stunning car!

5. peter

Car:
    RB7 #166
    proof i was at the spa-francorchamps JPRS meet (20 june 2016) ...

27563145763_9a064cdd92_b.jpg

Yiannis197 likes this.
  6. peter

Car:
    RB7 #166
    since my last post, i had the boot debadged and got myself some gloss black diamond covers. quite pleased with how the car looks now. much more cleaner look. reminder to myself : take some photos, idiot!

more importantly, i've changed the brake pads. the ferodo DS2500's (fronts) were replaced with galfer racing FDRT1066 (front and rear). i desperately wanted to try some track focused brake pads, just to feel the difference with the ferodo's. the difference is huge! insane how much more the galfer racing pads bite compared to the DS2500's. even after two trackdays, i'm can't get over the fact how much later and harder i can stop the clio and still have a bit of a safety margin.

looking for pads, i searched the internet. doing so, you get tons of info. actually too much info, often contradictory. so, after taking cost into considiration i ended up with this shortlist : ferodo DS1.11, endless A06 (popular on german clio's) and galfer racing FDRT1066. went for the FDRT1066's, because they're 'unknown' to me (i know, silly reason) and contact with the dutch seller was friendly and informative. don't regret the purchase at all, but probably will buy ferodo DS1.11 next time. just to see for myself, how they compare to the FDRT1066's. downside of these pads, they produce a lot more dust than the DS2500's (don't mind) and sometimes modulation is difficult. i'm not sure how much that is related to my worn tyres, or to the fact that i'm still running stock brake lines. would love to get me some stainless steel brake lines, but those are sadly a big no-no for belgian MOT.

29743893775_1322998f8e_b.jpg

i also did my first two laps of the famous nürburgring. almost sh*tted my pants on that first lap! hugely impressive and daunting place. would love to go back, but preferably on a week day, in stead of an overly crowded sunday. :smile:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  7. VolumeX

VolumeX

Car:
    Clio mk3 197 & 200 20th
    Awesome man!

8. Adam_C

Adam_C

Car:
    Clio 197
    Car looks good!

Nurburgring is on my bucket list! when you thinking of next going back?

9. peter

Car:
    RB7 #166
    cheers mate. :smile:

nothing planned yet. would like to go during the week. preferably on a friday afternoon or evening (i only live about a 90 minutes drive from the place). anyway, i think i need some new tyres first. this is how my cup 2's looked like after my last trackday at spa, last friday ...

30061777455_4b23f9c973_b.jpg

29767833250_3ca3862353_b.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  10. Adam_C

Adam_C

Car:
    Clio 197
    I would agree your in need of some new tyres.

How come they have peeled like this? is it due to the heat??

11. peter

Car:
    RB7 #166
    not sure really. they only have about 14 hours of (hard) track work on them. i know that tracks like zolder and mettet are notoriously hard on tyres (and brakes), but i wasn't expecting this. maybe i'm running too low tyre pressures for these michelins (32 psi front and 29 psi rear when warm)? i'll ask when i get them changed. these are the fronts btw. rears look knackered too, but not nearly as bad as the fronts.

looking to buy yokohama AD08R now. just to see how they compare to the cup 2.

12. Adam_C

Adam_C

Car:
    Clio 197
    I have Yokohama AD08R on my car now, although i dont use them for track i would be buying them again.

13. peter

Car:
    RB7 #166

yeah, i hear nothing but good things about those yoko's. looking forward to give them a hard time. :smile:

14. Adam_C

Adam_C

Car:
    Clio 197
    Keep me updated with how they last when under pressure, will be interested to hear.

15. peter

Car:
    RB7 #166
    will do.

Adam_C likes this.
  16. VolumeX

VolumeX

Car:
    Clio mk3 197 & 200 20th
    So those Yoko's are street/road tires, but can be tracked?

17. peter

Car:
    RB7 #166

yup. just like the michelin cup 2, the yoko is basically a road tyre which can take more abuse on the track than a regular sports tyre (michelin pilot super sport, conti CS6, goodyear eagle F1 AS3, ...). true semi slick tyres (888R, direzza, A048, ...) are race tyres allowed for use on the street.

cup 2's and AD08R's are not as fast on a track than semi slicks, but they (should) last longer.

18. Pav

Pav Moderator

Car:
    albi blue 197 with boost
    pretty sure the AD08'R's are a semi slick tyre..
    http://whichtyres.com/2015/05/yokohamas-road-and-track-tyre-ad08/

19. Pav

Pav Moderator

Car:
    albi blue 197 with boost
    that's it mate..they are great..used them as a road legal tyre and track tyre too..even the wet grip is very decent and beats some of the decent brands classed as all year rounder..

20. peter

Car:
    RB7 #166
    nope. common mistake. just like the michelin cup 2, the AD08R's are not genuine semi slicks. treadwear on both tyres are 180. treadwear on semi slicks vary between 60 and 100 (depends on which compound). the lesser that rating, the stickier the tyre.

here's a link to the predecessor to the AD08R, the AD08 ... http://www.yrc.co.jp/release/?id=1414&lang=en

yokohama themselves classify the AD08 under 'passenger car summer tyres' as a street tyre ...
    http://www.yokohama-online.com/Tyres/Car-Tyres/Passenger-Car-Summer-Tyres/(product)/AD08

while the (yoko semi slick) A048 is classified as a motorsport tyre ... click on the 'motorsport tyres' tab and a pdf will open ...
    http://www.y-yokohama.com/global/product/tire/

(when i got the cup 2's, i sent michelin belgium an email asking them some specs (size, weight, what pressures to run) about the cup 2's. in their reply, they specifically told me that the cup 2 shouldn't be considered a semi slick.)

papa and VolumeX like this.