2006 Clio Brake squeak - Sterring Knock - Creaky suspension

Hey guys. Just bought a 2006 1.4 Petrol Clio. She's a great little car. had a Mk2 before and love these little things. However, got a couple of issues with this one. She wasn't really looked after by the previous owner so iv got a few bit to put right. ill put them in a list so its easier to describe!

* First one! rear brakes (drums) wore out so much that the pads have gone and its metal to metal. I know this is bad, but i have a squeak on the front drivers brake. its a massive squeal when i put the brake pedal down. its not under real pressure. only half way when i want to brake lightly.when i brake fully,it doesn't squeal. Could this be due to air in the system or due to the read brake too? someone said it might be the pads getting low on the front?

* If i sit in the car and lightly move the steering wheel i can feel a knock just as i turn the wheel or wiggle it. some bush gone? feels like it pulls to the right too when going along the motorway. it also feels quite loose. iv just come from a Mk5 Golf and the front end on the Clio feels very loose when i go over bad bumps. shakes a lot.

*also,might be related to the steering, i have a few creaks in suspension or brakes/wheel set-up. when i turn the wheel i can hear a big creak. imagine a big guy getting in and out of the car. that kind of creak!!

think thats all!! thanks in advance. i used this site quite a bit too research the mk3 clio and was great help. cheers guys.

Last edited:
get the car looked at! driving round with known faulty brakes its an accident waiting to happen....