200 Cup Jack

Hi,

I know the subject of jacks and spares on the 200 Cup has been discussed a few times but I'm trying to get it clear.

According to the Renaultsport website:

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/Question/14998/community/experts/Default.aspx

It's not fitted because the Cup chassis is so stiff that jacking the front or rear of the car will also raise both wheels in the air. Therefore, unless the opposite wheels are secured (with a block or such), there's a risk that the car could move and topple off the jack

Does anybody have experience of using the Renault jack on a Clio 200 Cup? Is it dangerous? I may have "obtained" a possible spare alloy wheel but its no use if I can't use a jack. Do they mean that you just need to put bricks in front of and behind the opposite wheel?

Thanks

Hi,

I know the subject of jacks and spares on the 200 Cup has been discussed a few times but I'm trying to get it clear.

According to the Renaultsport website:

Does anybody have experience of using the Renault jack on a Clio 200 Cup? Is it dangerous? I may have "obtained" a possible spare alloy wheel but its no use if I can't use a jack. Do they mean that you just need to put bricks in front of and behind the opposite wheel?

Thanks

I always stick bricks in front of the wheels when jacking up. Not onlyon our 200 but all the cars I have had. Think it's good practice tbh.

I've not used the Renault jack but when using my trolley jack both wheels on the same side lift up as a result of the stiffness in the chassis.

^ I get the same using s trolley jack.. not has both back wheels lifting up when I jack one side before!

As said, good practice to stick a brick or something in front of both wheels anyway and use axle stands if you're going under the car at all.

Rich

Thanks guys.

So can I infer from the relative lack of responses that not many people have used a standard clio jack on a 200 with the cup chassis then?

I only want something to get me out of trouble if I have a flat and I can't help but think that having a spare in the boot has got to be better than just the foam - but how likely is it that the car would fall off the jack even if I block the opposite wheel(s).

Does that mean I'd have to carry a spare wheel, jack and four bricks?:nope:

I always use the jack in car to change my wheels
Mines only a full fat but it's sturdy, when I take a wheel off I put the wheel underneath the sill on the side I've jacked up to be double sure!

Only changing the wheel on a flat surface and putting blocks, bricks or something behind and in front of the opposite wheel I'd do no matter which car.

Feel a lot better about that.

Thanks Guys

:smile:

...I managed to get a jack for my car (even though Renault refused to sell me one)...used it to change a flat for the full size spare that fills my boot....had no problems with it....both wheels lifted off the ground as they would with such a stiff chassis....tbh, it would only be dangerous if you tried to use the jack on a slope or unstable grounding which is the same for any car......

Does any Clio jack do or does it have to be the specified 197/200 model (8200386374). I have the Cup chassis and am dreading getting a puncture until I have a space saver available to keep mobile.

I love how they go on about the "stiff chassis" making both wheels come up and that's why they don't give a jack.

Any jacked any other cars up recently??

Our DCI 86 does the same, as did our Suzuki Alto and my mates 13 year old fiat coupe. In fact I'd bet more cars do it than don't.

Just Renault fobbing people off!

Does any Clio jack do or does it have to be the specified 197/200 model (8200386374). I have the Cup chassis and am dreading getting a puncture until I have a space saver available to keep mobile.

...any jack from Clio 3 will be fine...should fit in the space under the boot matt....bit of a puzzle to get it in though.......

Any Mk3 jack will be fine as said above.

Think they're the same from certain Meganes too, but not sure on the years etc.