200 advice

Well i was looking to buy a 200 Cup last week but it got sold before i got there (still on their website though???) and now looking into a 200 non cup for the extras.
I've seen a white 200 on a 59 plate with 26k for sale at £9200 but i'm still not 100%.
The car is mint, has a few extras and looking at it the only thing i can see wrong is the bolster on the drivers seat (sports seats - not buckets) is creased which i understand is a common problem? Can this be fixed (warranty expired) cheap or is a new seat required?
I understand to check the steering by turning left-right at low speeds/ standstill to check for knocking, check to see if air-con works (it's got climate - is this the same problem?), and check to make sure it goes into 3rd smoothly from 4th
The car is 150 miles away so it'll be a case of buying over the phone (already got a deal worked out with garage) and doing the test drive/ checks when i go to pick it up - if everything is ok then i buy it.
I just don't want to go there, do a drive, think everything is ok and find problems when i get back home :worried:

The car has the red Brembos - does this mean it has the Cup pack?

Any advice welcome

Red Brembos and anthracite wheels means it does have the cup pack. Seems a good price for the car too.

I'd never do a deal over the phone though, I've learnt from mistakes. Was looking at getting a R32 Golf early last year and had basically done a deal over the phone for one (got sent 60 photos of the car, a video walk round etc) and was assured that the car was 'mint'. When I got there the car was far from mint. It had a whole side re-painted, the paint on the whole car was very poor (with heavy swirls and RDSs) and the full service history was from the independent garage that was selling it (I'm just suspicious). It also needed two tyres and the other two were cheap budget tyres which I always take as a judgement of how a car has been looked after. It also put you in a harder place when you do find something wrong as the dealer knows you want the car and is less likely to give further discounts.

Last edited:
Yep has the anthracite split 5 spokes - doesn't mention cup pack in the ad which is why i wasn't sure - thanks

Yep has the anthracite split 5 spokes - doesn't mention cup pack in the ad which is why i wasn't sure - thanks

Not all dealers are clued up on things like this, if it does'nt mention it on the log book they may not know about it.

I'd have a guess at it being a FF (full fat) with a cup pack, does it have a keycard and the rubbing strips are body coloured?

Yes it has keycards, climate, painted side strips, red marker on s/wheel, front fogs, etc so it must be a FF - wasn't 100% sure what a cup pack adds (brakes/ suspension?)

Where is car? Someone on here may be nice and have a once over for ya if its near to them, heard this been done before :smile:

Red markers on steering wheel?? I thought the 200 had yellow 'oversteer' indicator and the 197 had the red. I know my 200 (and the others I looked at) had the yellow indicators.

Red markers on steering wheel?? I thought the 200 had yellow 'oversteer' indicator and the 197 had the red. I know my 200 (and the others I looked at) had the yellow indicators.

Could have been yellow ;/ it was top centre - also CC buttons on wheel

Just looked at it. I would give Steve a ring at the Wakefield branch of harratts that's the Renault one. He is a straight talking guy and will no doubt be able to get ya previous owners name to check if ya ask really nice :smile:

Yes it has keycards, climate, painted side strips, red marker on s/wheel, front fogs, etc so it must be a FF - wasn't 100% sure what a cup pack adds (brakes/ suspension?)

The cup pack adds the red calipers, lower springs and stiffer dampers and the darker wheels.

IIRC on the 200 it also has a quicker steering rack.

Just got a price to change on a white 59 plate with 26k, cup pack, tom tom, etc which looks mint apart from the drivers seat bolsters (again - do they all end up looking knackered?)
The price is ok but it's a long way away and i don't fancy a wasted trip so i'm now waiting for another deal from another garage.
The 2nd car is a 2010, white, FF, 28k, cup pack, at around the same selling price - got to ring him back tommorow to get a p/x price on my car and see what else he can offer.
This car looks to have undamaged seats (can't find any FFs with buckets) so fingers crossed for tommorow :smile: