197 water pump??

Just wondering if 197's hve some kind of special water pump or not?

Reason being my local renault dealer have had my cam since 8 am yesterday to do cam belt and water pump etc and they have phoned me twice now saying that the wrong water pump has been delivered??

Starting to wonder if they have done it and timed it wrong or something so having to correct their mistake and are just filling me full of poo or if this could be the case

Sounds a bit suspect to me... Being a Renault dealer they shouldn't be ordering the wrong bloody parts!!! Have a wander down first thing in the morning without warning them, it might well be genuine but turning up unannounced will catch them out if they do have anything to hide.

Sounds like garage based fobbing usually aimed at women, ask them what's technically special about it and to just be honest rather than lie.

I reckon they've ****ed something up and tryin to cover there ass to sort it. My mate worked for vauxhall as a mechanic and smashed a customers car up takin it for a test drive they rang the customer up and said they've found a problem for it and will need to keep it for afew days. They repaired it and handed it back to the customer tellin them they gave it a polish cos it was sittin in the garage to long

Well one of my mates is a salesman at this said garage so if it was anything like that he would tell me!! I hope!

Wel see what they say when I go pick it up at lunch time!!

Quite liking the Nissan micra loan car iv got though!!!......NOT

Is a normal water pump nothing special we keep them on the shelf. Only thing i can think is they sold out but if they knew you were due in for the work this shouldnt be the issue.

Well as above they have told me that the WRONG water pump has been delivered twice!! Adds to the suspicion if they are just a standard pump!!
Il have to have a look at the body work I think! I'm half expecting it to be running like a bag of spanners! They just phoned saying its ready

Why are people changing these?? They were never an issue on the mk2's

Common practice on every car to change with the Cambelt.

Untensioning the Pump and then reapplying tension with a new belt can lead to premature failure. Failure means having to change the Cambelt again, so for the sake of £50 in parts and no extra in labour it makes sense to change it whilst everything is already off. Instead of £500 a few months down the line if the Pump fails...

Last edited:
Well the renault dealer were paying for the work as should have been done when I bought it! 3 weeks ago! They phoned me and said the water pump is goosed so we need to order one! It wasn't goosed when I dropped it off! How can you tell?

Well the renault dealer were paying for the work as should have been done when I bought it! 3 weeks ago! They phoned me and said the water pump is goosed so we need to order one! It wasn't goosed when I dropped it off! How can you tell?

it could have been "bearing play" or "rough" in operation when you try to turn it...or even weeping coolant

I'd be quite happy that they have noticed it was goosed rather than just slung it back together and hand it back trying to save a few quid!