197 standard seats airbag light

Hi everyone
I’ve swapped my clio 197 recaros for a set of standard seats .
I’ve fitted the standards in but now the airbag light has come on ? I thought this only happened if you put the recaros in ?
Can I just get the 3.3ohm resistors from maplins and sort the job ?
Thanks
James

That's a bit odd, we're the recaro's standard?

Resistors aren't really the answer, recaro's only have one airbag, the standard sears have two which is why resistors are used to fool the airbag computer that the other airbags are still present.

I'd check your wiring first, make sure everying is connected ok. Then you could do with CLiP to see exactly what's at fault...

_20180227_073234.JPG

You should get a couple of ohms for each circuit, 99.9 means it's open circuit.

Also, did you disconnect the battery to swap the seats? If not you might need to in order to reset the fault, could be a quick fix...

Last edited:
Reactions: DoggieGiant
That's a bit odd, we're the recaro's standard?

Resistors aren't really the answer, recaro's only have one airbag, the standard sears have two which is why resistors are used to fool the airbag computer that the other airbags are still present.

I'd check your wiring first, make sure everying is connected ok. Then you could do with CLiP to see exactly what's at fault...

View attachment 122418

You should get a couple of ohms for each circuit, 99.9 means it's open circuit.

Also, did you disconnect the battery to swap the seats? If not you might need to in order to reset the fault, could be a quick fix...
I never disconnected the battery when I swapped them , will try it tomorrow morning . Fingers crossed it sorts it
Thanks for the help

Tried disconnecting the battery and no joy
Will have to take it to my local Renault this weekend and let them reset it. Great...

Hopefully it's just a quick reset, if not diagnostic should help point you in the right direction...

Dads friend has plugged his snap on machine into the car and it’s showing 2.7 ohm resistance for the side airbags so it is showing resistance. Cleared the codes and the light is still showing for that fault

What about the lap airbags under the seat? (anti-submarining), also might want to check the airbag computer hasn't locked itself?

That’s all over my head to be honest mate
Is it just a case now it needs to go to Renault for the “clip” software
Or can I even get a airbag Ecu out of a standard and swap them over ?

Reactions: Doughnut
Depends what's causing the fault, there's two airbags on each seat so if your getting good readings it's odd airbag light won't turn off?

The fact you disconnected the seats with power on might have made airbag computer spit it's dummy out. You can lock and unlock it via CLiP for doing work on the airbag system. If it has randomly locked you might need CLiP to unlock it again.

Generally you don't need a new airbag computer unless you've been in an accident, if the airbags deploy it locks up fully so it can't be used again. Might be a visit to the dealers unfortunately... :grimacing:

Last edited:
Is it possible that the recaros were retrofitted before the car was purchased and the person who owned it prior to you had the anti-submarining airbags disabled? Would the car throw up an error if it noticed the standard seats had been fitted again but the anti-submarining airbags were still disabled?