197 headlight blub change

This is going to sound like a silly question.

Need to change the headlight blub on the girl friends 197 and she reckons the front bumper and light unit needs to be removed to replace it ?

Ive personally not even looked myself but would like to know it it's a 5min or 1 hour plus job ?

Regards

Pain in the arse, but doable without removing the bumper. Having hands like an 8 year old Chinese child helps though.

Yeah it can be done without removing the bumper. Did mine a month-2 ago.

Drivers side (RHD) isn't too bad, I undid the washer filler neck to allow a little more room. The headlight bulb is a little easier than the sidelight bulbs. The sidelight bulbs you have to push a little clip on either side so it pops out - I found that if I pulled (very gently) the wires rather than the bulb holder itself, while using a flat head screw driver to push one of the clips, I was able to wriggle it out. Much easier to push back in too than it is to remove it.

And for the passenger side, loosen the bonnet pressure alarm so it can be moved out of the way, and then remove the air pipe bit. Again it's a pretty tight squeeze but it can be done.

Guides here with some pics; http://www.clio197.net/forum/showth...ront-bulbs-on-a-197-amp-200-(inc-projectors-)

I did mine when I got the car as the standard headlight bulbs were frankly shocking. Yes it's a pain but it can be done without having to remove the bumper. As said above, if you have skinny hands you'll be ok but be prepared for a few scrapes and bloody knuckles lol. If you follow the guide above it's pretty explanatory and helped me a lot.

Thanks for wise words guys.

Think it's dipped beam drivers side and side light passenger side I need to replace.

I cannot veiw the guild as just a free member but you've confirmed to me the bumper
doesn't need removing.

You don't need to remove the bumper but if you have projector headlight it is very easy to put the bulb in not properly seated giving poor light. You need to remove the bonnet open switch and air bypass valve as well maybe release the fuse holder on the front of the battery box to get at the passenger headlight. On the other side the neck of the water bottle and move the plastic covered wire out of your way for the drivers side. I had standard headlights at the start and there is a ring around the H7 bulbs on a small finger look through the head light and make sure the bulb is sitting exactly centre can have a huge affect on the headlight distance it can be bent by pushing a bulb in at the wrong angle bending it you can put your finger in and trial and error straighten it. And be very careful of the holding springs they can pop off very easy and lost. My advice is if one bulb has gone change both I used the OSRAM night breaker bulbs eurocarparts had an offer on the around Christmas they are still 55W but the light is great. The bumper is easily taken off I would do it that way and replace all the bulbs at the same time due to the work involved.

Thanks for wise words guys.

Think it's dipped beam drivers side and side light passenger side I need to replace.

I cannot veiw the guild as just a free member but you've confirmed to me the bumper
doesn't need removing.

If you're not already, id recommend just replacing both side lights and dipped beams with OSRAM Bulbs. A worthwhile upgrade and since you're changing them anyway...

Similar Thread Suggestions