197 exhaust buzzing.

right guys decided to post to see if I can get any ideas here. my exhaust has made a tinny buzzing noise ever since I bought the car. Arnold clark told me they all sound like that but I didn't buy it. seems to make the noise just over tickover when I rev it, can actually hold the revs there and the buzz goes constant. now ive put a decat (2nd cat) on it.....didn't cure it. now ive fitted a ktec cat back system aswell and hey.....didn't cure it. still there just as bad as ever. since fitting the ktec ive noticed when it buzzes it actually changes the exhaust note aswell now. so basically can only be either the first cat? or the manifold? any ideas will be much appreciated coz its doin my head in and it makes the exhaust sound absolute ****!

Have you tried cleaning all the dirt out of the diffuser? Helped my buzz.

Take the diffuser off and give it a rev. If the buzz is still there then grab a friend and get them to rev it while you hold the exhaust tip - I found that where the exhaust is welded to the tip can sometimes buzz.

Unlikely that two separate exhausts could have this problem, so I think the root of the problem is the diffuser. Take it off and shake all the dirt out (mostly under the heat shield).

thanks for your input goose but its not that kinda buzz, when I rev it with the door open it actually sounds like its coming from the centre box/ cat area. like right underneath the car. its drivin me insane lol :swear:

I don't know what else to suggest then! I guess your best option would be to jack the car up and press/hold various parts of the underside until you find the buzz. Namely heat shields. Very annoying/time consuming I know, but it might be worth it.

Good luck

yeh def gonna have to investigate further. im reckoning it must be either the pre cat or the manifold. its all it can be really but im not wantin to shell out coin until im sure. hopefully someone else has had the same problem.