197 engine and gearbox needs to come out

Hi mike, I’ve just done it on mine, all you need basically is a guide to remove the front bumper then once your there its pretty straightforward just begin removing everything from the front end, just take a load of pictures so you have reference points when re-installing

Many thanks JustMatt , that was going to be my approach so thanks for confirming my thinking, also I was hoping for any little tips or tricks along the way, but hopefully all is straightforward. Am pulling the lump out for the classic gearbox refit and a few engine tweaks for a season of sprint events - thanks again for taking the trouble to reply.

It’s very straight forward to be honest, only thing really is getting some one out to de-gas your aircon, any problems along the way give me a message, I’m no expect but happy to help, I’ve literally just got to disconnect my driveshafts and mine will be out this evening

Hi Mike,

I struggled like a b@5tard just to change the thermostat so probably not the best person to answer.

Good luck with it though! Hope you've got a garage and plenty of patience

It’s very straight forward to be honest, only thing really is getting some one out to de-gas your aircon, any problems along the way give me a message, I’m no expect but happy to help, I’ve literally just got to disconnect my driveshafts and mine will be out this evening
How did you get on? All extracted successfully? let me know how you went about driveshaft disconnect.. many thx

Its out! no real problesms apart from driveshafts were awkward - they have a little springclip at the inner ends so needs a persuader to liberate them. noticed a few oil leaks now the lump is out.. how common are cam cover leaks? VVT solenoid leaks, Rear main seal?