197 Electrical Gremlin

Hello fellas - newbie here. I've got a Honda Integra DC5, but my friend has a 197 and I took it for a blast this afternoon.

There was a noticeable fault when throwing it into a corner pretty hard. For example taking a roundabout quite hard and sudden, the stereo would turn off and the power steering would cut out for 1-2 seconds then come back on.

Only seems to happen when there's some lateral G involved where I'm changing direction. Steering doesn't cut out every time, but the stereo seems to cut out for a split second more regularly.

Any ideas chaps? Must be an electrical/wiring/earth fault surely... needle and haystack!

French electric woes eh? I'll stick with my Japanese, definitely new pants needed now though :tongueout:

Any ideas/suggestions welcome - cheers!

Last edited:
It's only a guess but the alternator perhaps? These cars have electric power steering, which may use a fair amount of power which a knackered alternator may not be able to power it. The battery will lose power rapidly without the alternator.

But just a guess.

It's only a guess but the alternator perhaps? These cars have electric power steering, which may use a fair amount of power which a knackered alternator may not be able to power it. The battery will lose power rapidly without the alternator.

But just a guess.

The first thing I would check is the battery connections. That would be the simple explanation

Thanks for the suggestions so far fellas. We did think battery as well, but the connections are on securely. It also does it with a strong gearchange too (knocks the stereo out for a moment) but doesn't always cut the PAS..

Thanks mate. We did have a look at the fuses last night but didn't find anything untoward.

The car is booked in for some labour at K-Tec for some diag as it's only 20 mins away.. they said they have never heard of this before. Great!

def sounds like a loose wire/ poor connection mate. I would prob have car running and have a shoogle of the wiring looms and see if the radio drops off! I had this the other day with a transit van (intermittent) non start and i found the ecu live wire coming from the battery 10mm nut was loose so just moving the wiring looms about found the issue, hope you get it sorted.:smile:

Thanks Chris - we have had a big of a wiggle around but haven't found it yet. Last night my friend was coming off a roundabout quite hard and the lights dimmed/radio off/steering off/no power. Then left it for a second and it all came back by itself. Does suggest a loose connection.

Just to eliminate the battery/alternator we tested them this morning. 12V rest, 10.5V when starting, 14.4 when running. Seems OK.

We're having a bit of a poke around with the wiring today and have found a couple of things - anyone know what these wires are for ?

Green & white??

IMG-20150502-WA0005_zpszr2rje3u.jpg

IMG-20150502-WA0007_zps1tasjorl.jpg

This was disconnected - what is it for?

IMG-20150502-WA0006_zpsmjhqvelo.jpg

Not sure what the wires are for bud , wonder if anyone has a wiring diagram for the fuse box ?? Your battery altenator readings are fine. What about the wire going into back of the altenator just in the off chance it is loose ? Il have a nip out to my car and see if i can see what that multi plug is for.

Cheers Chris. Alternator wires seem fine...

Can now confirm it only does it on hard left hand turns - not on right hand!

Little update, today the car cut out for a second and then displayed this -

IMG-20150507-WA0014_zpsyzpbfwdf.jpg

Turned the car off, and then back on - and the error has gone. This is getting stranger and stranger by the day. Any other ideas chaps?

Same thing happened to me today along with a 'check injection' notice... Very eager to discover the cause of the warning/s!

A little update in case someone else has had this issue.

Whilst the 197 was up on the ramps getting its tracking checked, the ignition was left on. We're talking 5 mins max. Lowered the car back down and went to start it - starter motor clicking, wouldn't turn over. Jumped it and it managed to start.

It was the original Renault battery from new (57 plate). We knew this was a problem and shouldn't have happened, so popped to Halfords for a new battery. We fitted this....and guess what, no more electrical cut outs of the stereo or power steering when cornering hard (trust me we tried!).

Not wanting to tempt fate but it looks like the electrical gremlin is sorted .:zomg: Someone suggested the insides of the battery corroding and possibly shorting?

Now onto fixing the bottom swivel ball joint knocking/creak and rattly exhaust... :smiley: