197: Check injection + spanner light..

Antti O

Gold Member
This morning i drove 3km and engine was not yet in full working tempeature.
When i was parking car engine start shaking and there was check injection + amber spanner light on.
My first quess would be ignition coil, but i replaced recently coil set (Valeo greentop).

I shut engine down, and re-started it. It run fine and no error lights.
Unfortunately i have only that universal obd bluetooth device with torque software. There was no any error codes in obd memory.
I try to borrow Clip from my friend. Maybe there is stored code inside engine managment computer memory.

I drove maybe 20km and it has been fine now. No error lights or anything..

What do you think about this.

When mine did exactly same as yours it was the camshaft sensor (under the inlet manifold).

So it came up and went into limp mode, no throttle, so I coasted to a car park, then restarted it and it was fine driving home, then I went work fine, driving back it popped up on start up again, I turned it off and on, worked fine to get me to Euro Car Parts to pick up a new camshaft sensor, been fine since then.

Reactions: Pav and ///M
When mine did exactly same as yours it was the camshaft sensor (under the inlet manifold).

So it came up and went into limp mode, no throttle, so I coasted to a car park, then restarted it and it was fine driving home, then I went work fine, driving back it popped up on start up again, I turned it off and on, worked fine to get me to Euro Car Parts to pick up a new camshaft sensor, been fine since then.

Hi and thanks for your tip. Did you have some kind of fault code, or how you end up replacing cam sensor?

Hi and thanks for your tip. Did you have some kind of fault code, or how you end up replacing cam sensor?

Yeah as soon as mine came up I put in my bluetooth OBD2 + Torque Pro and it did flag a code.

Okay, in my case there is no fault code in OBD memory. I have to check with clip.
I have old petrol in tank from last september, i dont know if petrol goes bad in storage..

Okay, in my case there is no fault code in OBD memory. I have to check with clip.
I have old petrol in tank from last september, i dont know if petrol goes bad in storage..

It can go bad, but that isn't a long period of time, some people have had Check Ignition from running a Sprintbooster, it is normally bent pins in the plug that goes on the accelerator pedal, so check this connection is tight also maybe as a first point?

hope you sort it..my did that too but i had a sprint booster fitted..that's what it caused..

I have had this twice since i have had the car, Since been only a short while my heart sank like here we go lol typical renault for you, I knew my friends would have a right laugh at it, but after a little reading and in my case (it was kinda my fault, bit hard to admit) When it happened i was giving it some in the cold and the engine wasnt warmed up so literally a quarter mile down the road i got the same. Still drove fine and it was late so got home turned engine off back on and it was fine. same kind of scenario again and it also happened the same way. Personally from what i have read and experienced on my beauty is as long as you get the engine warm up it doesnt really do it, just from cold straight to thrash and thats when it can strike. Hope its ok if you find something else out please let us know :thumb:

Dragging up an old thread...

Done a bit of work on the car recently but took it for a good 100 mile trip with no issue, then yesterday it drops into limp mode, CHECK INJECTION on dash and hardly and revs! Restarted ok but it did it again and again and again... :cry:

Checked faults with CLiP and it's predominately coming up with DF079 either 1.DEF or 6.DEF

_20200625_224702.JPG

I stripped the throttle body and cam shaft sensor out to clean but it didn't seem to make any difference...

Last thing I did was test the wiring from the injection computer to throttle body, I sprayed connectors with electrical solvent and packed them all with vasaline.

It seems to drive OK now but I swear something still doesn't feel right... :confused:

Maybe down on power, revs occasionally drop down to 500rpm and it almost feels like it's misfiring but there's no faults on CLiP. Also, the exhaust there's an occasional pfft inbetween the bup bup bup bup...

CLiP shows a slight difference on throttle position between track 1 & 2, track 2 is fluctuating a little :grimacing:

_20200625_224719.JPG

Faulty throttle body?

Faulty camshaft sensor?

Faulty accelerator potentiometer?

Blowing exhaust? (sounds like it might be)

Any other opinions welcome?? I'm gonna be pissed if I need a new throttle body as they ain't cheap! :rage:

Attachments

• DF079.pdf
    73.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
To update, this morning I decided to pull all the plugs out to check over, number 1 seemed to have a bit of oil in the bottom of the well which I think is coming from a bolt on the camshaft cover. It was hard to get a good picture but you get the idea...

_20200626_134144.JPG

I cleaned up the oil and swapped my coils around for one with a better seal, took it for a drive after and certainly felt like it was back to normal... :smiley:

Going to keep an eye on this oil weep and fingers crossed no more limping check injection faults! :innocent:

Last edited:
Just to let you know that is cylinder 1 (on Clios you count from gearbox end).

Someone else had this previously, they slightly undone the bolt and put some sealant and re-torqued the bolt and they said it's been fine since, so if it does come back it might be worth trying?

Reactions: link
I replaced my throttle body after it went into limp mode 3 times on the way home from a trackday. Every time it came up with check injection.
It also did an odd think on my way there in the morning, where I stopped at a petrol station and the revs were hanging at around 1500 rpm.

It’s been fine since fitting a second hand body. Only cost 20 quid too

Just to add my two cents. I had this issue and it got progressively more frequent. I took it to a number of places and they did various things, camshaft position sensor, knock sensor, clean of throttle body, compression test, spark plugs. Nothing woked. I took it to Renaultspeed in Farnborough and connecting clip they found a fault on the inlet manifold pressure sensor circuit. Replacing that sensor everything is back to normal

Reactions: Sean197