197 - 3D Printing Ideas

LB197

Gold Member
-- If this post belongs elsewhere, by all means move to where it should --

Hi all,

Should be getting a 3D printer in a couple of weeks and wondered if anyone has any images of past Clio bits they've done. Got a few ideas myself but would be good to see other ideas.

Cheeky question, but if anyone has any CAD files for anything relating to the Clio, that would be great.

Thanks

A few of us on here have 3d printers, I don't sell bits but I am sure most people who do will not want to share their CAD that they've spent time perfecting.

What did you go for? The first few weeks or months will be learning how to use it properly (if you have never had one), there will be loads of trial and error to get it working well.

Download Fusion 360 (for personal use) and use youtube if you don't know how to use CAD software, you can then think of something you want to design and make it.

Many people make fog light brake ducts, but you want to see what you want to make.

I've made a cage mounted interior light, i've made harness stoppers (cage mounted), i'm making brake ducts for my E36, loads of brackets for my house, i've designed some mounts to hold a PS5 and controllers up for my mate.
I just made some speaker adapters for my friends 1968 Mustang (so he can run modern speakers).

You need to think what you want to design first, or get onto Thingiverse website, there are so many things you can download and print.

If you’re up for making small parts (for beer tokens of course!) let me know as I’m after 1 specific part that can’t be bought.

A few of us on here have 3d printers, I don't sell bits but I am sure most people who do will not want to share their CAD that they've spent time perfecting.

What did you go for? The first few weeks or months will be learning how to use it properly (if you have never had one), there will be loads of trial and error to get it working well.

Download Fusion 360 (for personal use) and use youtube if you don't know how to use CAD software, you can then think of something you want to design and make it.

Many people make fog light brake ducts, but you want to see what you want to make.

I've made a cage mounted interior light, i've made harness stoppers (cage mounted), i'm making brake ducts for my E36, loads of brackets for my house, i've designed some mounts to hold a PS5 and controllers up for my mate.
I just made some speaker adapters for my friends 1968 Mustang (so he can run modern speakers).

You need to think what you want to design first, or get onto Thingiverse website, there are so many things you can download and print.

Perfect! Thanks for that, I'll have a look.

Totally understand on the "not want to give away hard efforts", worth an ask though haha.

It's an Ender 3, that someone I know is getting rid cheap, so not super current but good to get a feel for it. I'll have a play around and see what I can come up with. Thinking custom side vents and grilles possibly but we'll have to see how capable I am first before I get ahead of myself :laughing:

If you’re up for making small parts (for beer tokens of course!) let me know as I’m after 1 specific part that can’t be bought.

We'll see how capable I am with simple things first haha.

Reactions: DS197
Perfect! Thanks for that, I'll have a look.

Totally understand on the "not want to give away hard efforts", worth an ask though haha.

It's an Ender 3, that someone I know is getting rid cheap, so not super current but good to get a feel for it. I'll have a play around and see what I can come up with. Thinking custom side vents and grilles possibly but we'll have to see how capable I am first before I get ahead of myself :laughing:

Yeah worth an ask, but you'll see once you've spent many, many hours doing stuff and printing and re-printing stuff, why people are reluctant to share their files.

Nothing wrong with an Ender 3, I have an Ender 3 V2, it's been great once you've done and printed a few upgrades.

With stuff like you mentioned, you'll see that kind of stuff you will need to print in ABS for example then work a way to smooth out the print (as print lines will be visible, so ABS you can do acetone smoothing), but I do functional parts rather than aesthetic ones, as it's hard to get them to look good enough to put as a visual piece.

If that was aimed at me Davinder, drop me a message and I can look at it (if you're in no massive rush).

Reactions: DS197 and LB197
Yeah worth an ask, but you'll see once you've spent many, many hours doing stuff and printing and re-printing stuff, why people are reluctant to share their files.

Nothing wrong with an Ender 3, I have an Ender 3 V2, it's been great once you've done and printed a few upgrades.

With stuff like you mentioned, you'll see that kind of stuff you will need to print in ABS for example then work a way to smooth out the print (as print lines will be visible, so ABS you can do acetone smoothing), but I do functional parts rather than aesthetic ones, as it's hard to get them to look good enough to put as a visual piece.

If that was aimed at me Davinder, drop me a message and I can look at it (if you're in no massive rush).

Appreciate the offer mate, wasn’t specifically aimed at you, apologies if it seemed like it was! I will definitely drop you a message soon :smile:

• Haha
Reactions: suj
Appreciate the offer mate, wasn’t specifically aimed at you, apologies if it seemed like it was! I will definitely drop you a message soon :smile:

No I was just checking (as you may know the OP or something lol) drop me a message of what's needed / dimensions etc, can see what can be done.

Reactions: DS197
I was thinking recently about a 3D printed GoPro bracket that could clamp around the centre section of a Recaro seat and have an arm that comes round the back of the seat to the middle of the car above the handbrake area. As I don't have a cage in my car I am using a camera mount that is less than perfect.

I was thinking recently about a 3D printed GoPro bracket that could clamp around the centre section of a Recaro seat and have an arm that comes round the back of the seat to the middle of the car above the handbrake area. As I don't have a cage in my car I am using a camera mount that is less than perfect.

I think a better idea would be an arm coming from the middle light going straight down (utilising not only the bolts for this but also hiding wiring to power the GoPro).

Orrrr...buy a half cage #ManMaths

So after some meddling round, ive got the hang of fusion 360 and cura [mention]suj [/mention] thanks for that recommendation saved me searching for and trying other free options.

Turned out to be an ender 3 pro, so has a few benefits over the 3 at least.

Made a few little house bits and then wanted to move onto the car once id got the hang of it, small at the moment but no reason why i cant do bigger projects now. I’ve had a snapped dipstick handle for years and could never bring myself to pay £25 for one. So first project was a dipstick handle [emoji23] went for a slightly different design but looks inkeeping
22c0bfa627dabecd4f46425b10185c8f.jpg

5f6c7c1fba617129d4152cd120fa1858.jpg

bccc35add023d6e30145d051b08e9cb0.jpg

MAP sensor holder and alarm plunger bracket could be a good shout... Do a good job and you might sell a few on here... :wink:

MAP sensor holder and alarm plunger bracket could be a good shout... Do a good job and you might sell a few on here... :wink:
An alarm sensor holder would be a winner.

Im dying to get my hands on a new one.

Good shout, should be able to get something together for that. Mine isn't too bad as I just gave it a wire brushing and sprayed it.

Taller cup holder insert so it holds cups

Yeah, that's something I've thought about, it's just how to go about it as they would still need to be quite deep or I'll get my toffee latte everywhere like it does now :laughing:

Was thinking a custom phone holder somewhere, something a bit more fixed in place; some sort of air ducting up to the acoustic valve and some custom wing vents but I think that's going to be a bigger task with it being curved in every direction.

Just a word of warning, if you are doing in engine bay / stuff on external of car, you don't want to use PLA, it will melt and deform, some people like PETG but I don't like it at all, I use ABS for stuff like that.

Thanks, im doing a few tests with it. Few bits in the garden to test how it handles water when it’s printed and a couple of bits to test the heat, more so i know myself what i can get away with like. I wanted to bend something and only took minimal heat to bend

I’ll get a couple more reels at some point and try abs, try a light blue one and see how it matches up to racing blue

Do you use a printer enclosure for abs? Someone mentioned that i might need to for it.