120,000ft Freefall LIVE

Haha mike beat me to it!

I know it can't happen but I've just a funny thought! Imagine if he went to jump out and instead of free falling he floated off into space haha

He may have actually broke the sound barrier as the sound barrier depends on the air density. At 100,000ft you would need to accelerate to around 690 miles per hour, At sea level you would need to travel at around 761mph.

He may have actually broke the sound barrier as the sound barrier depends on the air density. At 100,000ft you would need to accelerate to around 690 miles per hour, At sea level you would need to travel at around 761mph.

Thats interesting . . . the NASA commentary said he had not.

We will wait and see. . . . I hope he has as it would make it that little but sweeter victory.

Last edited:
All readings are yet to be confirmed by FAI from the data on the memory card in Felix's suit. The first person to approach him on the ground was from FAI and his sole purpose in the whole thing was to get that card as soon as possible. He may also have broken the longest free fall yet, nobody will know until FAI produce the official numbers.

From the Red Bull telemetry, he passed 98,000Ft well above the speed of sound, or Mach, for the local pressure and temperature. His fastest speed came after that though at 729MPH, although as I said, that remains provisional. Also from their telemetry he opened his parachute around 1,000Ft earlier than planned at around 6,000Ft (4,900Ft was the aim), who can blame him if his arse had dropped a bit by then though eh!?! :smiley:

You can get footage on BBCi player.

They are saying he broke the sound barrier.