Yiannis' Albi Blue R27 - Toning down...

Very nice car, love what you've done to the interior mate, I want that colour on mine :smile: nice bikes as well, I fitted two downhill bikes in the back of mine the other day :smiley:

Completely guessing here buddy, I'm sure it was you that had an incident with a headlight though?

If so, there's a drivers side one new on eBay

ok so I today I've been at Paul's workshop, it was a long trek for me driving there from London, M25 is a nightmare on weekdays but luckily no accidents therefore a clear(ish) run for me:smile:

Well it was interesting I have to say, really interesting but again I wasn't surprised at all, kind of expecting it really....

The first thing Paul asked me was which cams I'm running and if I had a map on the car already, when I said the magic word (K-tec) he did smile and the only thing he said was...'this will be interesting''. As if it wouldn't be:wink:

Anyway, I don't want to start any battles here or to initiate any tuning wars, this is a personal feedback from a personal experience and let's leave it to that.

Since I left Ktec last summer (after installing the induction kit and having the maps tweaked by them) the car suffered from unstable idle. The idle was low and sometimes it would drop to 500rpm pretending to stall (never did) and then back up again. I contacted ktec by email reporting the issue while mentioning the ''mapping'' word but I was reassured that there is definitely nothing wrong there and that it must be a lambda sensor or something. Since then I checked everything, air leaks, vacuums leaks, throttle body, lambda sensors (I actually swapped one over with Ben's when swapping the exhaust) etc but I couldn't rectify the problem. Something deep down (not that deep tbh) was telling me that it was the mapping.

Apart from that and since fitting the cams the car below 3k rpm was worse than before, it would hesitate a bit and then it'd go. That was more obvious when exiting a corner on uphill but because it was like that from day 1 I though it was normal, more aggressive cams after all so it had to have less power low down right? And K-tec couldn't have done something wrong because it's a prestigious company with package presentations on Evo magazine, thousands of followers on fb and massive clientele. No I wasn't a marketing victim, not at all...

Anyhow, my car pulled 205bhp on K-tec's rollers without the Akrapovic, it pulled 193bhp with the Akrapovic Evo on RST's rollers. The engine would knock (Paul said it was a very good thing I always run it on Super Unleaded because it'd knock as it is, things would have been worse on normal petrol), the fueling was wrong, same with the vvt timing.

He had the car about an hour on the dyno tweaking his way through, lots of runs and at the end we ended up with the magic and round 200bhp figure. I know that people say numbers are numbers etc but I was a bit disappointed, not with RST obviously but with the engine. I was expecting more from a cammed car with an Akra without a catalyst. Even Paul said that it's a bit underpowered and he expressed his reservations regarding the physical timing of the cams but he put my worries at rest telling me that the car now works allright and that he wouldn't let it go if he thought otherwise. I believed him...

He also asked me if I've been told that the mapping was custom, which was correct. He said that he's seen the very exact mapping on numerous occasions...

Then we went for a run just to make sure everything was fine...and it was. The car operates smoothly, as smoothly as it gets, the idle is spot on and no hesitation at all. It pulls harder as well, I can really tell a difference and it's not a placebo at all. The car's drivability is night and day...

Here are the graphs, power at the wheels/AFR, power/torque

12177315485_0a7f70ab04_b.jpg
Untitled by YiannisR27, on Flickr

12177548353_1cd5549eb9_b.jpg
Untitled by YiannisR27, on Flickr

As you can clearly see, the car would run rich, lean and then rich again. It was not as bad as other graphs I've seen (like as rich as 9 and as lean as 20) but bad nevertheless. I can tell from how the car drives anyway.

The epilogue is that I'm really happy with the outcome and of course I can now put my mind at peace...

Will I go back to K-tec again? I believe you can answer that yourselves...

Seems like I'm not the only one being told that they are always right

Glad you got it sorted. Your doing better than I am

That's a bit of a horror story @yiannisr27. I'm sure you're chuffed with the outcome even if in your own mind the car seems underpowered - I'd be the same if I'd cammed mine. I'd be expecting closer to 215bhp. The main thing is though, the drive ability now compared to before.

would you say it's money well spent? Personally I can't wait to get mine done :smile:.

Seems like I'm not the only one being told that they are always right

Glad you got it sorted. Your doing better than I am

I know mate...ridiculous. I'll fire an email to K-tec just to see their reply...

That's a bit of a horror story @yiannisr27. I'm sure you're chuffed with the outcome even if in your own mind the car seems underpowered - I'd be the same if I'd cammed mine. I'd be expecting closer to 215bhp. The main thing is though, the drive ability now compared to before.

would you say it's money well spent? Personally I can't wait to get mine done :smile:.

Yes Eddie, as I said it's day and night difference and all the niggles and problems have been ironed out. It was money well spent no question about it.

When is your's booked mate?

Glad to hear that bud. To be honest I'd been thinking about getting mine cammed before heading over but cost wise it just wouldn't work out. There's a number of problems with mine that'll need ironed out by Paul too. Time will tell though. I'm booked in for March 1st. It really can't come quickly enough!

Maybe now you can enjoy driving the car and none of those problems will rear their head again :smile:.

Map aside, your car is a beast. Love it :smile:

Well Eddie if you are fitting cams Paul is the man to do it. However it's an expensive mod, not something I'd personally do again that's for sure! What problems are you having then?

Bring on 1st of March then mate:smile:

And cheers for the nice comments:smile:

Well Eddie if you are fitting cams Paul is the man to do it. However it's an expensive mod, not something I'd personally do again that's for sure! What problems are you having then?

Bring on 1st of March then mate:smile:

And cheers for the nice comments:smile:

This is the thing, it's the sheer price that puts me off. I know there would be more power but I can't fully justify the expense.

Just the normal problems when you fit a decat and cat back exhaust, an absolute hideous flat spot at 2.5k which I'm sure Paul will iron out. Also a lack of power down low and when on full throttle the power delivery is not even close to being even. All no doubt linked to decatting and fitting the exhaust I'm sure!

Looking forward to the road trip over though, it'll really be worth it. I don't think anyone understands my excitement to get this done lol.

Ah yes of course, you did mention it on facebook and it was me who asked Paul about that. He sounded really confident that he can cure the flat spot so I I'd take his word for it.

And yes mate, I do understand your excitement haha

mine did 190.6 on RST rilling road last week with just an akrapovic eve so an extra 10bhp with cams and an intake seems about right to me.

that graph looks good. compared to mine they're similar then at 5500 the cammed car really picks up more

Well you are not wrong there Ken. Having said that though I believe Mark's pulled 205 only with an Akra and Maxogen! (I'd have to double check the figure though)

Major differences in between engines it seems, not something we weren't aware of of course lol