Winter wheels and tyres for my RS

Hi all!

I'm thinking about some winter wheels and tyres but not sure where to start with size/fit etc... Ideally I'd like to stick the smallest wheel I can over the brakes, which I think will be 17's, heard 16's may fit but the discs are 320mm and the calliper is pretty big too!

I looked at Laguna wheels but I think they might be too wide as the new RS runs 205 width and ideally I'd want something slimmer?

Any advice is much appreciated! (I'd love to stick some steelies on for the craic!) :smiley:

Unless your planning on driving through some serious winter weather, then I wouldn't bother buddy.

I'm assuming you care for the car with it being so new, so wouldn't take it out in complete snow? An all weather tyre will do fine through our 'normal' winter conditions.

Just put a good coat of wax on the wheels, inside and out and a quick power wash will remove most of the grit/salt/dirt.

Cheers for the advice. I've never bothered in the past but I had a concern with it being automatic and uber low profile tyres would be a recipe for spending a lot of time spinning on the spot... It's mainly the village I live in seems to be forgotten about when some snow falls haha!

I think it's because I care for it that I was going get winter wheels/tyres... I guess for the same cost I could buy a shed to run over winter (que a warm snow free winter) ha!

Last year I bought Nokian WR A3s for the standard 17s on the 197. Didn't snow at all so can't tell you how they were. They were noticeably better in the wet though.

This year I'm putting them on the standard alloys again, and I bought some 200 cup wheels which are going to be my summer alloys. So ill have 2 sets for easy swap.

Will point out that I did this cos I live out in the country and work shifts, so I'm up and away before the gritters, so it was needed for me to buy some. If I didn't have to cos of working conditions, I prob wouldn't bother with winters.

I run the Nokian WR A3 on my Meg (19" rims) and they're excellent. Grip in the wet and cooler days is spot on.

I've ran winters for the last 4 years now and I'm totally sold. I do a fair few miles a week and they give more confidence in poor conditions in wet and cooler temperatures. Normal tyres aren't as effective below around 6 or 7 degrees, it's not until you run them that you realise what a difference they make. For the cost of a second set of rims and winter tyres I'd do it, the tyres should last at least 2 or 3 winters so it's worth the initial outlay IMO

Similar Thread Suggestions