Track Wheels Winter Storage

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Lewis Watson, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Lewis Watson

Lewis Watson Platinum Member

Car:
    2012 Clio 200 Cup
    Hi all,

I recently invested in a set of track day wheels (Prorace 1.2 alloys with toyo r888r proxies). Since winter is not that far off I expect (hope?) that there will still be some life left in the tyres once the track day season comes to an end. So I'm looking for some tips for storing them over winter so that they don't crack or deform.

I don't have a garage and storing them inside the house is a non-starter, so I'm thinking about storing them in my shed. Its kitted out as a home office so has some basic insulation and an electric heater so I could potentially just set it to keep the inside temperature above freezing.

20180801_194324.jpg

What do you guys do with your track wheels over winter?

2. NickD

NickD Gold Member

Car:
    Lots
    Trackday season comes to an end? Does not compute!

3. Lewis Watson

Car:
    2012 Clio 200 Cup
    All good things...

Even if I do end up hitting the track in the dead of winter, ideally I'd like to store them some place above 0-degrees.

4. Lewis Watson

Car:
    2012 Clio 200 Cup
    Do you still get on the track in the winter @NickD?

5. RSRowe

RSRowe Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    Everyone always says to store them where it isn't too cold.... But I've never had an issue storing them in my old man's garage over winter.

I would say stack them ontop of each other so you don't flatten the tyres though.

Perhaps you could stick them in your loft if you have one?

6. NickD

NickD Gold Member

Car:
    Lots
    Trackdays (and racing) go on all year round. I have run track events in every month of the year. Obviously some tyres are less suitable for cold and damp than others, but don't let rain or temperature put you off.

7. NickD

NickD Gold Member

Car:
    Lots
    It is more of a concern if you actually try to use them then they are hideously cold as the rubber is deigned for elevated temps and can become brittle at very low tempertempe. It should be less of a problem now with the reduction of organic oils in tyres. And warehouses and logistic depots are not exactly warm places.

8. NickD

NickD Gold Member

Car:
    Lots
    Or hand them on the wall and put some clock hands on them. No one will notice, they don't have 12 spokes for no reason! :smile:

RSRowe likes this.