Why is there a sound limit on tracks?

Wanted to go to Cadwell Park or Donington this year for a track day, but the exhaust is to loud :wink: aha, why is there even a limit?

People living nearby complaining so the tracks have to come to an agreement with the council, otherwise they can't operate.

And yes I know if your going to complain why buy a house near a race track! But we all know how upside down this country is.

Maybe they should implement this on planes flying over houses a lot louder than our cars lol People have nothing better to moan about just like when they got rid of Chelsea Cruise which was a good night that had been going for years.

Last edited:
How loud is your exhaust?

Agree with Ben, seems silly that Donington has a limit when its right next to an airport.

yes I know if your going to complain why buy a house near a race track! But we all know how upside down this country is.

Exactly this... One will never know what possesed the Queen to build Windsor Castle under the main flight path to Heathrow Airport :wink:

My dad lives about 7 miles from Silverstone circuit and on a good day (depending on your viewpoint) you can hear the F1 cars when they are testing.

Mine is 120db on idle

<iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=119383501598086" width="1280" height="720" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Is that 120db measured inside one of the cylinders? :tongueout:

I know it's loud but it won't be 120db and especially not at idle.

How loud is your exhaust?

Agree with Ben, seems silly that Donington has a limit when its right next to an airport.

Donnington has a limit on how many flights it can run at certain times of day to help keep their noise down.

It is a little bit silly though!

My dad lives about 7 miles from Silverstone circuit and on a good day (depending on your viewpoint) you can hear the F1 cars when they are testing.

I remember this when we were driving to the circuit, you could hear them from miles away. You could also hear the Porsche Cup cars. Hated the traffic so there was nothing better to do with a terrible hangover than get the windows down and have a listen

croft in recent years had BIG problems with noise that at one point threatened the closure of the circuit! the legal costs alone were at around £750,000
again due to locals etc... all started and pursued by two familys (funny that one of the two I believe was the ex wife of one of crofts owners or founders) with compo payments I think it cost croft around 1 million pounds
completely ridiculous when the track was there before the houses around it (well most of them anyway) prior to it being a track it was used as a 'secret' airbase during the war I believe.
They had to cut the amount of events they had each year and have a very limited number of what they call noisy days.

I know if your going to complain why buy a house near a race track! But we all know how upside down this country is.

I hate this sort of thing. I was saddened to learn that Thruxton can only actually run twelve days of motorsport a year. What a waste of a great circuit.

SWMBO often tells of the people who moved in next to Paignton Zoo (near where she grew up) and complained about the peacocks making noise. They ended up slaughtering them (the peacocks!).