What's your driving position?

I have heard a lot of negative comments for the non-option of moving the wheel in and out (close to you and away from you). I personally don't have a problem with that at all and i wonder what you think about it because,to be honest, i can't figure out what's wrong with the std position....is it too far or too close??? :confused1:.

Anyway,as far as i am concerned,at first i sat as low as possible and i had the wheel on a middle position. Eventually i found out that sitting a little higher and setting the wheel at the lowest position (which also is the most vertical position) suits me better..

So , what's your driving position?

I was taught at race school to position yourself so that when you reach your arm out straight infront of you your wrist drops to the top of the steering wheel.

Hope that's of some help :smile:

In the past I also read some things about it and this is a good summary about it what I found.

1. Seat height: as high as possible.
2. Distance from steering wheel: your outstretched arms meet the sides of the wheel at the wrists.
3. Distance to the pedals: with the clutch fully depressed, the knee is still bent.

...The best seating position for ordinary drivers is not quite as extreme as in motorsport, but the principles are similar...

...A high seating position automatically provides a better all-around view and a better view of the instruments. Of course, there are limits to height adjustment: there should be at least enough room between the ceiling of the car and the top of the driver's head for a clenched fist...

...The angle between the backrest and the seat should be 90-100 degrees, i.e., nearly upright. Most drivers prefer a more shallow position for the backrest, and initially find this most comfortable. That's not ideal, however, because the backrest supports the entire back only when the spinal column keeps its natural shape...

...The headrests are not just there for comfort; they also protect against severe injuries to the neck vertebrae. In a head-on crash, the driver is first preopelled forward, then diagonally backwards and up. Therefore, the top edge of the headrests should be at least level with the top of the head or higher. Whiplash injuries and dangerous injuries to the cervical vertebrae frequently come about because the headrests are set too low..."

Last edited:
1. Seat height: as high as possible.
2. Distance from steering wheel: your outstretched arms meet the sides of the wheel at the wrists.
3. Distance to the pedals: with the clutch fully depressed, the knee is still bent.

I generally stick to this principle tbh, I know I sit a lot more upright than most of my friends. I cant be doin with laying down while i'm driving lol

Agree with the Knee still bent when clutch is depressed.Also wrist on wheel .But seat about 85 and low for me .:thumbup1:

This is about it for me aswel, alot of my mates have a go at me for being so upright etc because they sunbathe while driving, but i prefer to be in control lol.

if you have your seat too upright you can't gansta lean (get outta the way when someone drive by's you!!) not that a renault door would stop dem slugz!

but serious i like it quite upright but have the seat on the lowest setting - and still it dont feel low enough

mines, seat low as it goes, wheel out as far as it comes and as low as itl go. quite relaxed, saw a woman driving a new corsa VXR one with the black on red, had to laf as me and my mate watched her get into it, the recaro seats wer bolt upright. looked realy funny.

Seat in it's lowest position, steering wheel slightly down and with arms slightly bent, Backrest nearly 90' with lumbar support pushed out about 2 1/2 turns lol and enough legroom so my knees don't touch the underside of the wheel haha!

Seat in it's lowest position, steering wheel slightly down and with arms slightly bent, Backrest nearly 90' with lumbar support pushed out about 2 1/2 turns lol and enough legroom so my knees don't touch the underside of the wheel haha!

Yeah about the same for me!!!

But in our little 1.4 we have, seat as far back as it will go and as low as it goes!

Pretty much same as me.

When i first got the car i was altering it daily whereas now i've found a position i like.

....seat back almost horizontal.....sit leaning forward and leaning slightly over the gear stick....drive with one hand....cap sideways and jaw hanging open.....innit....

i have the seat at about 85-90 degrees, but what about the lumbar adjustment...any tips on how it should be best set?
Any tips about the driving position on a race track?

my wheel move in and out and also with this setup I can't find the right position in this car. I'm 190cm but this can't be a problem in 2011...

Low Seat, Fully extended wheel, and low wheel, seat back is pretty upright, I like to sit close to the wheel. DTM style.....

like most seat upright, arms length. I do have a problem with the renault seats though...

I hate the fact that when you move the seat to let some **** in the back (to annoyed for something that happens twice a year if im lucky) the seat doesnt go back to the original position!