Weighty weighty clios

Right...
How heavy will this still be... I'm starting to guesstimate... anyone else have a 197 on a diet?

Full glass and metal panels

Original weight with "100kg" driver was 1290kg

Driver -35
Stripped interior with r019 rollcage
Stripped dash and matrix - 15
Race heater + 2
No AC comp or idlers -~ 4
Racer wheels - ??
2 fibre seats + 8
Stripped engine bay with carbon box and li batt - 30kg (so much crap came out!!)
Carbon scoop +.4kg

I reckon about 1200 with the driver @65kg and fuel

Circa 1100 minimal fuel & no driver is the target I think

That's +50 on top of a cup racer which also has metal panels and glass

Am I realistic?

Who has some scale shots?? :wink:

Can you post pic of the engine bay? You saved up to 30kg
Interesting:smile:
P.s originally 1240(official weight recorded iirc) is the ff non cup Clio or the naked cup Clio ?

Last edited:
I think @simoxmino weighed his and published the figure and what he'd done to achieve it.

Do i remember a statement banded around the net years ago saying something like:

Every 5kg of weight saved; is the same as having 1hp extra added (under acceleration) ?

More of us should look into weight saving TBH. Extra power is only really a help on the straight under full throttle.

Weight saving is a help everywhere......

Do i remember a statement banded around the net years ago saying something like:

Every 5kg of weight saved; is the same as having 1hp extra added (under acceleration) ?

More of us should look into weight saving TBH. Extra power is only really a help on the straight under full throttle.

Colin Chapman of Lotus said power makes you faster on the straights but subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.

Reactions: sevenfourate
Can you post pic of the engine bay? You saved up to 30kg
Interesting:smile:
P.s originally 1240(official weight recorded iirc) is the ff non cup Clio or the naked cup Clio ?
Battery was 12 not 19 as I thought! Still lots of weight removed, old airbox and pipework is weighty enough!

I have to find simos weight.

I believe 1100 is a fair target!

@A1axx you thought about fibreglass panels? There's a company who make bonnet, boot lid, and doors. Has to be some good savings there.

Reactions: A1axx
@A1axx you thought about fibreglass panels? There's a company who make bonnet, boot lid, and doors. Has to be some good savings there.

After weighing that will be the next step, probably after next year! I would get them all at once when I can. MC racing would be who I would use, pound isn't strong enough at the moment mate .. wish I got them when I was collecting bits

So every 5kg I lose in body weight also, I gain an extra 1hp to my car? I best start running!

Reactions: Jimmy
Change the windows or even the rear 3 for polycarbonate.
Trim the inside out of tailgate and remove locks etc.
replace the massive twin pipe back box for a single box
Setup like an R3.

Are you still rocking electric windows? Was there a manual
Setup fitted to any Clio?

Was the cup racer built from a proper motorsport shell
Ie no extra brackets, no sound proofing, no seam sealer etc

Reactions: Lct
Setup like an R3.

Think the cup racers just don't have underseal and the brackets you normally trim not fitted in the first place

I have no locks mate. Most of he brackets gone. Yeap should trim the tail gate to lose a bit. Could change my milltek to single and run the centre res. I don't want it to go over noise limits.

Looks so much better with the tidied and stripped interior. All started up first time IMG_4943.JPG254ef6f9a68c436616ad361b3439f6b6.jpgddd6c0d26c5e93d26086126f8a9664ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setup like an R3.

Think the cup racers just don't have underseal and the brackets you normally trim not fitted

I have no locks mate. Most of he brackets gone. Yeap should trim the tail gate to lose a bit. Could change my milltek to single and run the centre res. I don't want it to go over noise limits.

im going on a diet!

Reactions: A1axx
Hi, where did you get carbon centre console from? Does it still give you access to key card slot and connector to allow diagnostics/remap?

Think the cup racers just don't have underseal and the brackets you normally trim not fitted in the first place

Looks so much better with the tidied and stripped interior. All started up first time View attachment 15747254ef6f9a68c436616ad361b3439f6b6.jpgddd6c0d26c5e93d26086126f8a9664ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk