victim of its own success

IMO, the clio 197 is a victim of its own success. The car ticks so many boxes standard and I've never owned a car that I would have been quite happy leaving well alone until the clio.
Realistically for an average of £7-8k, what else comes close in its class?

I get bored of my clio but not because its boring...but because I can't find anything that needs improving. Many have tried and the majority have failed or for the outlet of thousands, have found minimal gain. I'm learning quickly with this little car, be careful what you wish for. The standard car with some choice mods is too good for many, and although only short of 200bhp, the cars ability exceeds my ability as a driver. That means its fast enough for me and often people forget the competition.....Corsa VXR's, Fiesta ST Mini's or 207 GTI's. Really??? If I only have to worry about driving it slower so that I use less fuel, having to put up with it bunny hoping when cold and I've bought a recaro seat cover for the tissue paper like cloth, I'll be a happy man. Everything else is really choice. I know of no 'realistic' mod that transforms the clio...unlike say a set of coilovers on other cars...and how many of the above could you drive to the track and wouldn't have to come home on the back of a flatbed?

It will be sold one day but not for something better, just different.

Last edited:
Completely agree with everything you say!

I get bored of cars quickly but to be honest I can't think of anything I could realistically replace the clio with at the moment. It's a superb car and I just wish there were more mods available to keep that excitement going for longer.

Totally agree. Clio ftw.

When I bought mine I never thought I'd actually struggle to justify coilovers from cup pack suspension but I genuinely did struggle. It's a great setup standard.

Mine is standard except for ITG and bulbs and it does for us
It will be with me till it dies or I do(oh yea I did)lol

Completely agree with everything you say!

I get bored of cars quickly but to be honest I can't think of anything I could realistically replace the clio with at the moment. It's a superb car and I just wish there were more mods available to keep that excitement going for longer.

Never thought I'd say it but 200 AG or Storm Grey Clio, given the changes they have made to the important stuff, when the new Clio comes out will make the 200 a s/h bargain......

Never thought I'd say it but 200 AG or Storm Grey Clio, given the changes they have made to the important stuff, when the new Clio comes out will make the 200 a s/h bargain......

the 200 would be the last renault i'd opt for, the megane is too big (for me) and the new clio will be 5 door only!

think once i've had enough of my clio (never judging by how much fun i still have in it!) it'll be a golf GTI or something for me..

IMO, the clio 197 is a victim of its own success. The car ticks so many boxes standard and I've never owned a car that I would have been quite happy leaving well alone until the clio.
Realistically for an average of £7-8k, what else comes close in its class?

I get bored of my clio but not because its boring...but because I can't find anything that needs improving. Many have tried and the majority have failed or for the outlet of thousands, have found minimal gain. I'm learning quickly with this little car, be careful what you wish for. The standard car with some choice mods is too good for many, and although only short of 200bhp, the cars ability exceeds my ability as a driver. That means its fast enough for me and often people forget the competition.....Corsa VXR's, Fiesta ST Mini's or 207 GTI's. Really??? If I only have to worry about driving it slower so that I use less fuel, having to put up with it bunny hoping when cold and I've bought a recaro seat cover for the tissue paper like cloth, I'll be a happy man. Everything else is really choice. I know of no 'realistic' mod that transforms the clio...unlike say a set of coilovers on other cars...and how many of the above could you drive to the track and wouldn't have to come home on the back of a flatbed?

Couldn't agree more. I always get a sense of smugness when I spot Corsa VXRs for some reason. God knows why.

so does this mean your not going down the R26 engine or ITB's, like you were going to a few days ago?!

so does this mean your not going down the R26 engine or ITB's, like you were going to a few days ago?!

Yep. Thats exactly what it means. I know myself and if I was convinced this was the right way to go, the engine would be in it already.

I've been fortunate enough to have owned 300-350bhp bhp AWD,RWD and MR layout turbo cars in my time. All were superb in their own way and some were brutally fast. But years ago I owned an S1 Elise which left me with the best driving experience (although I didn't know it at the time) due to having to work an underpowered NA engine and perfect chassis/suspension to gain the rewards. The 197 Cup has a similar dynamic ie modest power, great suspension, brakes and chassis from factory but it's usable everyday and understated in appearance which is why I'm very happy with it. I've also realised I definitely prefer NA engines strangely enough even though I've mainly owned turbos.

The key is don't throw money at the 197 attempting to increase power. The lack of significant performance gains from the wads of cash spent will only induce a "sell up" mentality. Tyres, suspension, brakes and most importantly investing in improving your driving skill are all safe bets imo :smile:

Similar Thread Suggestions