Uprated Pads.

I've not been happy with the brakes on my R27 since i got her 1 month ago (Coming from my AGP with Carbotec pads and HEL lines they are sh!te) so have just ordered a set of the HEL brake lines for this. Will change to the racing fluid also so my next question is......

Which pads would you all recommend?

I will be doing the discs at some point but although they do have a slight wobble when braking, for now they will do.

I know there's a lot of you that have done some trackdays and this will also be seeing a track (Oulten park in November) and some next year also so any advice would be appreciated before i waste some money on the wrong stuff.

Cheers

Ashley

Never had any issues with the standard Brembo/Ferodo Pads on mine and they've had a fair few laps of Oulton and Bedford as well as the usual driving about and some severe punishment around Wales. The big thing with the brakes on these is making sure you keep them clean and in good condition as the Pads have a tendancey to stick in the Calipers. It's best practice to strip the Pads out once a year and give everything a good scrub, this also helps prevent the Pins from getting stuck in the Calipers which is a common problem and causes all manner of headaches when it comes to changing the Pads.

I use HEL hoses and Miller Oils 300 Plus Race Fluid and find it a very good setup.

Ferodo DS2500 are probably the most popular choice of Pads on here though.

I've used alot of different pad types in my time lol, used to swear by the EBC range. Redstuff is fantastic for road use and keeps your wheels looking their best far longer than any other pad, yellowstuff are great for light track work aswell.

But then i tried Carbon Lorraine pads and was converted. The RC5+ are very well mannered on the road for sintered pads and take some serious abuse on track, even if you manage to fail them the RC6 are aggressive but fade free.

I put up with the dust, disc wear and squealing for the pedal feel, cold bite, heat resistance and outright performance.

Never had any issues with the standard Brembo/Ferodo Pads on mine and they've had a fair few laps of Oulton and Bedford as well as the usual driving about and some severe punishment around Wales. The big thing with the brakes on these is making sure you keep them clean and in good condition as the Pads have a tendancey to stick in the Calipers. It's best practice to strip the Pads out once a year and give everything a good scrub, this also helps prevent the Pins from getting stuck in the Calipers which is a common problem and causes all manner of headaches when it comes to changing the Pads.

I use HEL hoses and Miller Oils 300 Plus Race Fluid and find it a very good setup.

Ferodo DS2500 are probably the most popular choice of Pads on here though.

This was what i was hoping initially, but, the car is now 5 years old and i have no record from the previous owner that the pads have ever ben changed. In all fairness its only on 21k but it's more for peice of mind to change them.
They are a very good setup as standard it's just my last car would give me whiplash if i slammed the anchors on and in this it fades way too quickly.

I've used alot of different pad types in my time lol, used to swear by the EBC range. Redstuff is fantastic for road use and keeps your wheels looking their best far longer than any other pad, yellowstuff are great for light track work aswell.

But then i tried Carbon Lorraine pads and was converted. The RC5+ are very well mannered on the road for sintered pads and take some serious abuse on track, even if you manage to fail them the RC6 are aggressive but fade free.

I put up with the dust, disc wear and squealing for the pedal feel, cold bite, heat resistance and outright performance.

I used yellowstuff pads on my last car and found them to be pretty good, if not a little loud.
I've heard some good stuff about the Carbon Lorraine pads so this may be the route i go.
The brake squeal can't be any worse than the AGP, that was horrendous but worth it to feel like i could stop when i needed to lol.

Thanks for the replies.

You might find yourself having fun when trying to get the Pads out then if they've not been done in a while!!! :smiley:

Budget for a set of Pins (~£30), you will need two sets.

You might find yourself having fun when trying to get the Pads out then if they've not been done in a while!!! :smiley:

Budget for a set of Pins (~£30), you will need two sets.

Just too add you may want to buy there first.

as willis says many bend them.

I push the pistons in and then try tapping first to see how it goes and then judge it on how they move. Pushing the pistons in is vital imo.

There is a pin upgrade iirc from somewhere that someone on megsport had made up and get a very good rep.

I've just looked at ferodo but the cheapest i could find were £220ish.

I've just picked up OEM ones for the meg from a dealer for £66! (same pads iirc?) so i can change them 4 times for that of the ferodo ones and kill them on track days without worrying.

not changed the clio ones as they were done under warranty.

Just too add you may want to buy there first.

as willis says many bend them.

I push the pistons in and then try tapping first to see how it goes and then judge it on how they move. Pushing the pistons in is vital imo.

There is a pin upgrade iirc from somewhere that someone on megsport had made up and get a very good rep.

I've just looked at ferodo but the cheapest i could find were £220ish.

I've just picked up OEM ones for the meg from a dealer for £66! (same pads iirc?) so i can change them 4 times for that of the ferodo ones and kill them on track days without worrying.

not changed the clio ones as they were done under warranty.
You could also tyre it with Chungintai's 10x over for the price of R888's, but which is going to be the fastest/safest on track days?

I am on my third set of RC6's.

Can't rate them high enough. Work well on road for a track pad and are awesome when used properly.

I've just put some DS2500's in mine and wouldn't go back to standard now.

There was nothing wrong with the standard set up but i just wanted that bit more and these are brilliant.. I put new pins in too (got the machined ones from mr pink on here)

The DS2500's were only £125 from Camskill. Cheapest I could find.

With regards to the brake set up, all of you upgrading the pads, are the brembo disks up to the job or are you all upgrading those too? Just asking Incase people aren't mentioning disks in a pad thread.

Gez

You could also tyre it with Chungintai's 10x over for the price of R888's, but which is going to be the fastest/safest on track days?

But if you want track brakes, then you would put DS2.11 on would you not?

Brembo pads are fine for track days imo but then again they must be different to the 265 Trophy ones as they are twice the price of the clio 200 ones.

FERODO DS2500 BRAKE PADS
Clio = From £106.80 (Inc vat) Set
265 Trophy = From £213.60 (Inc vat) Set

i always thought they were the same but perhaps i'm thinking of the MK2 meg.

My bad.

Then I'd agree and go with the upgrade on the Clio but I've taken the decision to keep oem pads for the meg.

really depends on how much your willing to spend on a set of pads.

I just fitted some Endless pads on mine and i'm over the moon, they cost a lot but you get what you pay for.
otherwise from what i've heard i would recommend CL RC5 for road and track use.

Right i've pretty much decided i'm going to give the CL pads a go.
When i come to change the disks, am i right in thinking that the Meg 225 disks will fit?
If they do. is it worth putting them on rather than spending a few £££ on some aftermarket ones?

Sorry for being a bit dim when it comes to this.

Ashley