Tough Mudder/X Runner etc.

I was looking at doing one of these this year, but didn't get time to train etc. So I'm well up for doing some next year. Just wondering who on here has done some of these 5/10/20k assault course events and if you have any tips? Like how hard are they REALLY and what sort of training you did/should have done.

I'm thinking of doing a 10k x-runner earlier in the year, and then going for Tough Mudder later in the year (as it seems harder than most of the 10ks I've seen so I get a bit of training/practice in).

For anyone that has no idea what I'm on about...

http://toughmudder.co.uk/

[YOUTUBE]GuyqYWy8FcM[/YOUTUBE]

I did the South West TM a couple of weeks ago. In all honesty, it was miles easier than I thought it would be. I did it in a group of five including two girls so we went round at their pace. We took just under 3 hours but that involved waiting about 15 minutes at two obstacles for one of the girls to complete (Walk the plank and Everest).

There's no real strength stuff apart from the monkey bars. The furthest I ran in training was 8 miles and did 10k in under 50 minutes. Do a few medium length runs and some hill climbs and you'll be fine.

If you're in good shape, do it topless. Miles more comfortable plus you dry off instantly.

We're doing the one in Kettering next year in July.

Ive done Tough Guy which is one of the originals, about 19km and a lot of fun. Have been doing Survival of Fittest every year since it started. Doing the London one in November.

With your training its important you do specific training and not just running, bodyweight exercises, dips, chin ups, press ups etc.

A mate of mine did Survival Cardiff with me last year and he is a very good runner. He struggled.

PM me if you want any more info on training.

Last edited: