Took the lid off......

Higher volume of air but it's also hotter air which doesn't necessarily mean more power/torque. Same problem as open cone filters

You could be right but always judge my cars on how they drive and not on horsepower or torque figures. Simply science, if it feels faster, then it is faster....its all about how it puts it down on the road, not on a set of rollers!!!!

Having just seen your pics on the other thread i've had an idea, its a bit extreme though!
The clio would be a prime candidate for having bonnet vents right above the filter as a cold air feed! Bit like the 206 vents, eventhough they were only for show. Tis what i'd do if i didnt mind cutting holes in my bonnet.

Having just seen your pics on the other thread i've had an idea, its a bit extreme though!
The clio would be a prime candidate for having bonnet vents right above the filter as a cold air feed! Bit like the 206 vents, eventhough they were only for show. Tis what i'd do if i didnt mind cutting holes in my bonnet.
Thats why i said to do the rs turbo bonnet thing, its easily reversable if doesnt work very good.

You could be right but always judge my cars on how they drive and not on horsepower or torque figures. Simply science, if it feels faster, then it is faster....its all about how it puts it down on the road, not on a set of rollers!!!!

Not always true that if it feels faster then it is faster. Placebo affect plays a role in it too

Isn't this idea effectively the same as the removable rubber bung on the Twingo RS? Proven to lose you power, but does sound good.

I tried this about a year ago, and found that it did seem to pull a bit better, but the more I drove it I actually found it to be more slugish than before so I reckon heat soak does have a role in it. Have you tried it on a long run?
I just leave the lid on now.

I took the lid off my 200 last saturday and have been driving around like it all week... (roughly 300 miles)

My experience of it is, yes It does sound good, but I have noticed that it has definately lost some pull in the last 1-1.5k rpm. Bottom end torque does 'feel' stronger but I suspect this is more a psycological feeling as it sounds faster...

Lastly I haven't noticed any difference in MPG.

After spending the week with it off I will be putting it back on again this weekend, the noise is nice but not so nice that it outways the loosing some top end performance, however slight this may be.

What I would be interested to find out about is if there is a work around (a cover that gives both maximum performance AND the noise) or if by fitting one of these ITG panel filters gives the same noise while keeping the lid in place...

Was bored at the weekend so took the lid off and what a laugh - sounded great and not just through tunnels. I noticed a big drop in power though - I could literally see the speedo and rpm needle moving slower around the clocks than normal so have put the lid back on after about 4 days off. And yep the car pulls nice and hard from 1500rpm all the way to the beep again and visually and through the seat of my pants its definately quicker and not by just a bit either.

200 has done nearly 18,000 miles now and goes like a rocket. Pitty we can't get that nice induction roar without sacrificing power.